Which Yeast To Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wispering_Eye

Reaction score
Brewing a high gravity red ale (target OG 1.081). Have never brewed a red ale before and wanted to have something ready for St. Patty's Day.

I have two yeast options. WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast and WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast.

Was wondering if any of you vets had a preference between either yeast strain. Noticed both strains get high attenuation (between 70-80%).

I've used WLP090 once before and was slightly upset because I felt like there was still a lot of residual sugars left in my beer...but that could have been because of poor oxygenation. I have since got an oxygen tank so that fixes that problem. I have never used WLP007.

If you have an opinion...let me know.:mug:

I've used both. There both pretty attenuative, my feeling was the WLP007 flocc's a little more completely. The WLP090 is pretty fast but I didn't see a lot of difference between it and the Chico strain. The WLP007 was temperature sensitive for me, if I let fermentation get over 72F I started getting some phenolics. I've made a water bath fermentation chamber... no problem now. Just keep it below 68 and it's good.

Latest posts

Back