Which way to go from here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchnGrin

Reaction score
I need help deciding where to go with this recipe. I'm trying to decide if I should dryhop as planned. I'm still a greenhorn and would like your input. I was going for a toasty red APA.

So, I just took a gravity sample after 2 weeks and it's at 1.018. A touch high but I think I went overboard with the nonfermentables. It tastes clean and looks great, but it is very malt forward with no hop aroma or bitterness. I planned on dryhopping while it sits in primary another week.

So it tastes more like a Newcastle. Which I enjoy. Would a charge of dryhops like citra or cascade be too little too late.

Here is the recipe:
5gal, OG 1.051, IBU 54.75, S-05

6.5# Maris Otter
1# crystal 60
0.3# Carapils
0.3# Victory

60min 1oz Chinook
20min 0.67oz Cascade
5min 0.33oz Cascade

Hindsight I would boost up the flavor hops and cut out the carapils. But would dryhopping be a waste of a tasty nutty amber brew?

And I already have a couple IPA/APA's in the pipeline.

5 gal. Looking at the recipe now I am surprised how little 2row I used. I have 84% efficancy.

Even at 84% efficiency, that would yield an OG of 1.039
With an oz of Chinook @ 60 min, I'd imagine that would be a kick in the teeth!

Thanks for responses. I'm green with the software too, but I used Brewzor Pro Beta on my phone to get my theoreticals which matched my actuals.

I just checked Brewmaster Warehouse Brewbuilder and it claims 1.050.

I am a light hophead but I don't pick up any bitterness but in a balanced way.

Caramel and Crystal are the same thing.
Depending on your mash temperature, the beer may be finished @ 1.018. I've only had that high of a FG when I mashed a bigger beer @ 158.
As far as dryhopping goes, you an certainly do that. Cascade will be a lot smoother than Citra, but the Citra is nice and I think actually give some percieved bitterness.
Good luck with whatever you decide, and look into the Beersmith program, it's invaluable as you go forward with your brewing.:tank:

Bull

Back