Which water chemistry do I use for Belgian-American Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zentr

Reaction score
I like IPAs and Saisons. For this next beer I decided to brew a hoppy pale ale, about 68 IBUs. Then, for a twist, I ordered the Belgian Ardennes yeast.

I use reverse osmosis, then build my water chemistry back up. Do I use a Belgian beer profile or a Burton (Pale Ale/IPA) profile? Or something in between. Which will have the best results? Anyone have experience with this?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am using American hops: piney Chinook and danky Columbus.

Thanks!

I wouldn't go crazy with a Burton or pale ale level of sulfates in this beer. The resulting ester profile from that yeast might not play nice with a bunch of sulfate. I'd suggest something along the lines of the Yellow Bitter or Amber Bitter profiles in Bru'n Water. They have modest calcium and sulfate levels which should somewhat accentuate the bittering without going overboard.

Back