Which variety to plant.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genacide

Reaction score
I currently have 5 cascade and 2 Mt Hood planted and doing very well and have room for 2 more (preferably the same variety). What would be a good choice to diversify? I brew all across the spectrum from light ales, to very hoppy IPAs (more aroma than bitter), to dark stouts/porters. I'm also interested in getting my moneys worth. Planting a variety that costs more to purchase over another variety at the LHBS.
Thoughts?

Chinook and Nugget are readily available and vigorous growers, so they might be worth your consideration. I tend to like Centennial most, but they're not as foolproof in my experience.

I was given 1 Centennial, 1 Cascade, and 1 Chinook rhizome. The Chinook and Cascade are doing great. The Centennial died.

I was given 2 more Chinooks by Troegs/Sunny Brae. They are absolutely not growing _at_all_ ....upwards anyway, don't know about root growth. But their also not dying or looking bad either.

Cascade, chinook, zeus (CTZ) and Nugget are great for me. I'd like to get my hands on centennial once I have more room.

Sorry to hear that your experience with centennial is bad. I read it can be very picky. I had bad luck with Willamette. I could never get it to grow or produce anything.

Back