Which maltster's 6-row is best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewF

Reaction score
First time brewing a CAP and I could use some advice on the malt. I find Briess 2 row to be a little bland, and am concerned the same might be true of their 6-row. Does anybody have a favorite 6-row to recommend?

Isn't a CAP supposed to be a little bland? 6-row will give you a little more huskiness than 2-row. I don't know if that appeals to you or not. Corn is alleged to give a sweeter, more interesting flavor than rice. Here's Jamil's take: http://***********/component/resource/article/2527-classic-american-pilsner-style-profile

Thanks for the link. "Like your grandpappy’s Pilsner, this is a rich malty and hoppy beer." That is exactly what I am after. The BJCP style guidelines allow up to 40 IBUs in these beers, and I plan on using all of them. I am concerned that Briess 6-row may not provide much 'rich maltiness' however.

Are there no 6-row aficianados out there? Anybody even know of any maltsters besides Briess and Rahr that sell 6-row?

I think Briess makes most of its specialty malts from 6-row, so using those would be in keping with the theme. You could try mixing in a little Vienna or light Munich, or toasting some of the 6-row. 6-row's pretty much an exclusively North American malt, so you probably won't find much from Europe.

Back