Which hops in bulk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbambuti

Reaction score
I've been checking out the prices for bulk hops at Hops Direct and am considering ordering two or three types. I'm still quite the noob and, while I understand AAU's, am not particularly knowledgeable about the subtleties of different hops varieties.

I'm an extract brewer and generally like IPA's, APA's, ambers and stouts.

If you were buying 2 lbs. of hops, which varieties would you buy with my beer preferences?

Thanks in advance.

Pellets or whole?

Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Columbus
maybe Magnum

If I had to choose 2:
Amarillo
Centennial

I would buy pellets, if you can. They're easier to store, and, for me at least, they seem to keep their flavor and bitterness better than leaf hops.

I just bought a pound of Columbus at Hops Direct, and a pound each of Cascade, Simcoe and Amarillo at nikobrew.com. Hops Direct has always been great. I gave NikoBrew a shot because he offers $5 flat shipping. Shipping at HopsDirect is a bit more.

All of the hops I mentioned are great for IPAs and Ambers. Most of them (except Simcoe probably) would also work in American stouts.

Just got a response for shipping from Hops Direct. This is to Chicago area.

1# 8.33
2# 9.18

I know I want a lb of Centennial, just need to decide on the other. I'm thinking Magnum since I can use it for the bittering addition of most beers.

If I only could have two: Willamette and a C hop.

Lets you do American styles, British styles and some Belgians in a pinch with the Willamette.

I would go with:

German Magnum: Universal, low-cohumalone bittering hop
German Hallertauer: Can be used in pretty much all German and some Belgian beers
East Kent Golding: Used in pretty much all English ales.

Consider subbing an American hop like Cascade or Amarillo for the Hallertauer with your beer preferences. If you don't brew English beers at all, sub another American hop for the EKG.

I know I want a lb of Centennial, just need to decide on the other. I'm thinking Magnum since I can use it for the bittering addition of most beers.

That's what I just received from them last friday. Used the Cent to dryhop my barleywine, smelled great!

Received 1lb 1oz of Cent, and haven't weighed out the Magnum just yet.

Centennial and magnum or centennial and cascade

or warrior and cascade.

It really is hard to decide, thats why I ended up buying wayyy to many lbs of hops. Im just upset about the AA on the styrian goldings I recieved :( Way to low

man, I must be weird.

I would choose Amarillo, Cascade, Sterling, Mt. Hood and Vanguard.

I could pretty much do anything with those.
But, I embrace chaos and outlaw brewing.

I took my own advice and have some German Magnum, German Hallertauer and East Kent Golding on its way. Time to make some room in the freezer and check out those Ziploc vacuum bags - they reportedly work pretty well for meats, so they should work well enough to keep the hops in reasonably good condition. Not as good as a dedicated vacuum sealer, but I'd rather spend my money on more hops than one of those ;)

For the most possibilities I personally like to go with 1 each of an American, an English, and a German variety. I like Cascade, Fuggle, and Hallertau. Although I'm a big Saaz fan too.

I personally dig whole hops.

I would go with Centennial or Cascade (I prefer Centenntial) since u like IPA's and maybe something versatile like EKG or Glacier.

If buying in bulk, you might want to check here as well, North Country Malt Group.

what would you all suggest for a person who has taken an interest in english beers. Currently on tap is a chiswick bitter clone, a stout (used fuggles) and soon to be SWMBO slayer.

I was thinking EKG, as i started to like it with this bitters (mostly used for dry hopping). I was thinking about getting one more lbs of something, maybe a bittering of some form, but wanted to see what you all would suggest. I have started to move away from APAs and with the exception of Longhammer, i haven't really found an IPA that i enjoy.

thanks

I like pellet the most. Its easier, smaller, more consistent. Cascade if one of our top sellers then I'd have to say Amarillo, if that helps at all. Warrior and Willamette would probably the next most popular we see ordered.

Back