Which element should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've got the OK from SWAMBO to put together an e-kettle. I've been following different threads and builds on here for a little while, so I'm basing my designs on them. For reference;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/stove-assisted-ekettle-293644/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/stovetop-110v-single-vessel-system-265939/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/how-build-5-gal-110v-ebiab-kettle-304914/

As well as Kal's electric brewery and the countertop Brutus thread.

So I think that I have a fairly good sense what to do.

However, I'm undecided on what element to use in this. I'll be using a 12 gallon aluminium pot, and a stove that is rated for 2000W with a glass top. I have 2 separate 20 amp GFCI protected circuits as well. I don't plan on anything larger than 5-gallon batches.

This 1650W model was suggested in another thread. I like that its a low-watt density, so scorching should not be an issue. This 2000W model also seems popular, but I'm not sure whether its LD or not, or if it really matters.

Basically, do I need a 2000W element, or will the 1650 suffice? Do I need to worry if its low-density or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be fine with either when using in conjuction with your stove top - that 2000w element is a LWD element, you can tell by the shape and it says so on the main page.

If you use two elements, you will not need the stove. 4000w will boil very vigorously for 5 gal batches, some cycle the second element to temper the boil. 2 @ 1650w might be a good balance.

Either will work if you intend to use one element and the stove burner as well.

Thanks for confirming guys.

I had put some thought into a two element setup, but decided to go stove assisted because its simple and cheap, and there's no need for a PID.

Just make sure your mounted element isn't directly above the burner at all. Keep it well to the side. Even then, I'm not excited about the idea of heating the metal itself, and having a thru-kettle mounted element.

For reference, I use 3150W to boil 10.5g of wort in a euro-keggle and it works just great. I had 3,000w in my previous 8g pot, which is now my HLT.

Just make sure your mounted element isn't directly above the burner at all. Keep it well to the side. Even then, I'm not excited about the idea of heating the metal itself, and having a thru-kettle mounted element.

Have you done this setup and had problems with it? I'm basing my design off several others that I've seen posted here, and I haven't heard anything about potential problems between the element and heat from the stove.

Have you done this setup and had problems with it? I'm basing my design off several others that I've seen posted here, and I haven't heard anything about potential problems between the element and heat from the stove.

I haven't, but the element contains plastic, I'm assuming you'll cover it in PVC cap or something, etc. Just keep that side of the pot from being directly over the burner and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks, I am going to attach a sealed metal gang box to the end of the element, so it will be protected from any heat from the stove.

Back