Which coolers for mash tun and HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
In terms of functionality and flexibility, which is the best type of cooler for use in all grain brewing? I've come across several, it's tough to figure out the meaningful differences between them other than price.
-- Igloo (yellow; expensive)
-- Igloo (orange; less expensive)
-- Rubbermaid
-- Home Depot -- Same as the Rubbermaid?
(I realize that any will need some modification - spigot valve, false bottom, etc)

Or is there a better option than any of the above - either specifically designed for home brewing or not?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the main differences will be how good the insulation is. Assuming they are all the same size.

I think cheaper is fine, and you'll hold to a degree or 3 over an hour. Mine is Home Depot branded but I think Rubbermaid.

I have an orange igloo (5 gallons) that I love. They all work great if you preheat with hot water (tap water is fine) before mashing. I generally fill mine halfway with hot water and close it up while I heat my strike water. I generally do 90-minute mashes and lose only 1-2 degrees over that time.

Rubbermaid sucks. The drain hole is drilled to wildly different diameters from unit to unit, ranging from 7/8" to over 1". It's like they give the line workers a step bit and don't tell them where to stop drilling. Igloo coolers have a very consistent 13/16" hole which makes bulkhead installations a breeze.

You might consider going with the 10 gallon version though, 5 is pretty limited unless your standard batch is less than 5 gallons.

Rubbermaid sucks. The drain hole is drilled to wildly different diameters from unit to unit, ranging from 7/8" to over 1". It's like they give the line workers a step bit and don't tell them where to stop drilling. Igloo coolers have a very consistent 13/16" hole which makes bulkhead installations a breeze.

You might consider going with the 10 gallon version though, 5 is pretty limited unless your standard batch is less than 5 gallons.

I've got the Igloo Ice Cube; it's 48 quarts and, IMO, none too large. I do 5-gallon batches, and I wouldn't want the cooler to be any taller.

I have a 10 gallon igloo from Lowe's and often wish I went bigger.

Your pretty much limited to 25# and under and for 10 gallons brews .

I have the HD Rubbermaid 10 gallon round cooler. It works well. I have a 10 gallon pot on a turkey fryer burner for my HLT. I agree that the 10 gallon cooler is limiting as far as 10 gallon brews but I do 5 gallon batches and it will handle an 11% ABV Russian Imperial Stout.

I do not know the differences in insulation. I get only a 2-3 degree drop on cold winter days. Pre-heated and covered with a blanket. I brew on my porch.

I went with the largest I could find (~125qt). Ended up being from Costco with a handle and rollers. By preheating it and placing a piece of foam insulation over the grain bed I can do any where from 5G to 15G batches as well as huge 1.110 OG 10G batches. The flexibility to do what I want has been prefect for me.

I have a 10 gallon igloo from Lowe's and often wish I went bigger.

Your pretty much limited to 25# and under and for 10 gallons brews .

I have a 10 gallon Gott cooler and have always wished I had, and often need bigger. It has lasted almost 2 decades and I wouldn't change anything but the size.
If I could start all over again I would start with a rectangular, larger cooler. They have a lower profile so that makes it easier on many levels.

As stated above you are limited to gravity/ capacity.
https://www.brewunited.com/view_page.php?pageid=1

If you plan to stay in this addictive hobby a long time go big early!
$10-$15 in 5 years from now??

I do like the false bottom design and function. Has anyone ever made a false bottom for a rectangle cooler?

Does the braided hose work as well?

I didn't have much luck with the converted washer braid. Now I use a bazooka screen (meant for the ketttle) and have been quite happy

Bobby, is there a difference (other than the color) between the yellow and the orange Igloo?

Yellow is OSHA approved and its advertised to hold temps for longer than the orange one. I can't find the website where I originally read that but I think it's advertised to hold temps for 3 days. I have a yellow one because I bought it used for $40 and an orange one I bought for $10. Both seem to hold temps for the hour or two I need them to. I originally planned to use the orange as a HLT but I haven't been using it.

I do like the false bottom design and function. Has anyone ever made a false bottom for a rectangle cooler?

Does the braided hose work as well?

I have a kettle screen that works well. I think you have to Vorlauf a while to get it clear, but I think that would be true with most systems other than a strainer bag.

Stealing pics for imagery ....

P1000499.JPG

P1000521.JPG

I have very good results using copper tubing with slots. Much better than a false bottom or a screen. I understand a little copper in one's system makes a difference with wort quality, as well.

I didn't have much luck with the converted washer braid. Now I use a bazooka screen (meant for the ketttle) and have been quite happy

OTOH, I've had much better luck with a braid than a Bazooka. I've used the same braid for nearly 20 years and over 500 batches.

Here's my system that I've used for nearly 20 years and over 500 brews. Vorlauf takes maybe 30 seconds and less than 2 qt. If I thought there was something better I would have switched a long time ago. Check out www.dennybrew.com

Here's my system that I've used for nearly 20 years and over 500 brews. Vorlauf takes maybe 30 seconds and less than 2 qt. If I thought there was something better I would have switched a long time ago. Check out www.dennybrew.com

I tried copying your design early on and kept having stuck sparges. Not sure if it was the weight (10-15G batches), tubing collapsing from vacuum, or what. So I changed to the bazooka and a gant and have been unstuck and clear runoffs since. Though I've made far far less batches than you, but at least I have something that works for me. Thanks for all the suggestions here and other places online.

I see a lot of braid conversions using small water supply lines. If you use a water heater supply line braid it is bigger, tougher and will not collapse. I have nothing inside it to keep it open as I have seen in some posts. I have done about 90 batches with mine. No collapses, no stuck sparges, vorlauf takes less than 2 quarts and very little debris comes through. I don't have to worry at all about bashing it around with my mash paddle.

I see a lot of braid conversions using small water supply lines. If you use a water heater supply line braid it is bigger, tougher and will not collapse. I have nothing inside it to keep it open as I have seen in some posts. I have done about 90 batches with mine. No collapses, no stuck sparges, vorlauf takes less than 2 quarts and very little debris comes through. I don't have to worry at all about bashing it around with my mash paddle.

I have used the same braid (not brand, the braid itself) for over 500 batches and it's always worked flawlessly. I use Lasco brand (part number 10-0121 or 10-0321). No collapses, never had a stuck runoff even with 60% rye.

I have used the same braid (not brand, the braid itself) for over 500 batches and it's always worked flawlessly. I use Lasco brand (part number 10-0121 or 10-0321). No collapses, never had a stuck runoff even with 60% rye.

Right. Use a reasonable quality line for the braid and you should not have any problem.

I see so many using really wimpy braids then having to coil copper wire to insert inside to keep the thing from collapsing. If someone has to do that they did not choose the right line to get the braid from.

Would someone point me to a How-To on cutting these braids out please?

www.dennybrew.com

I simply use a hatchet to chop off the ends. Then, push each end of the braid toward the center. That will expand the braid and make it easy to pull out the tubing.

BTW, many braids look like SS but are actually plastic. You don't want those. What you really want is the Lasco braid I posted.

I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler and I do not have any additional HW to it. I just put the grains in a big grain bag for mashing while it's in the cooler. No filter braid needed. When mash is done I just pull the bag with the grains out! Easy!

I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler and I do not have any additional HW to it. I just put the grains in a big grain bag for mashing while it's in the cooler. No filter braid needed. When mash is done I just pull the bag with the grains out! Easy!

Glad you like it. I found that method was more hassle for me than using a braid.

Back