Which Coleman 70 QT for mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
I currently use a 52 QT (rectangular) cooler now and it works great, but I seem to always run out of room when batch sparging my 10 gal batches, so I want to upgrade to a 70 QT. The cooler 1 has over 243 reviews (4.5 of 5 stars), and cooler 2 only has 16 (4 of 5 stars). Cooler 1 is only available online, so I picked up cooler 2 locally to check it out. By reading the reviews, it seems that a few people have used cooler 1 as a mash tun with great success, but no mention of that for the second one, does any one on here have any experience with the second cooler?

Cooler 1:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/4807332

Cooler 2:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/23795246

Thanks

I have the second one, nothing special one way or another I guess, what more can you ask for? This was the first mashtun I built, the plug came off easy and the ballvalve/ss mesh assembly installed fine. I took the screws off the lid so its completely removable, as it got in the way during cleaning and dough in

I probably could've gotten a smaller version as I'm only doing 5 gal batches right now.

Ive got number one. Probably could have gone smaller but want to get to the point of 10 gal batches soon so I bought bigger. Works like a champ. I heated my strike water for my last batch to 162 with 16lbs of grain. After mashing in, I lost a grand total of 0.5 degrees on a 60 min mash. I'll "blame" the cooler for helping me pretty consistently get 75% efficiency. Also, the nice thing is that its got a slight collar about an inch from the top where you can mount a sparge arm if you fly sparge. I would buy the same cooler in a heartbeat. Got mine on amazon prime. Same price but 2 day shipping with a more beer ball valve cooler conversion kit

I have cooler 1. Works very well for large 5G batches and average 10G batches.

Cooler 1 specifically mentions a channel drain, which could reduce dead space depending on your setup. Cooler 2 may also have it but it isn't mentioned.

Amazon sells both. A lot of reviews for #1. No reviews for #2 but more info than Walmart offers.

I just received the marine version of #2 from Amazon today (I think the only difference with the marine is color and the addition of metal hinges). I haven't used it yet, but based on just looking at it I would recommend #1. I have the 36qt version of #1 and it is awesome (<1 deg/60 minutes, and a great channel drain). The new one has walls that are 1 inch thinner and the drain channel is much shallower. My 36qt has ~2.25" walls, and this one has closer to 1.25 inch walls, so I am a little skeptical.

Is it cool if I vote for the unlisted cooler #3: Coleman Xtreme 6201 (100 qt)? Big enough for any beer you want to make + you can do a water bath for both of your fermenters when to time arises. Also, the spigot bore is circular and easily modifiable. I have this setup in the US and all it took was a 1/2 faucet supply line, some lube, an Oring from a keg post and a hose clamp to terminate the end of the stainless steel braiding.

Plus, it stores my 2 fermenters and grain mill inside when not in use.

1185294_10151556128586073_279527739_n.jpg

Cooler #2 does have a channel for the drain also, but I think I might just return it and order cooler #1. I am getting a little nervous that it still might not be big enough

Latest posts

Back