Which Chugger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFishBrewing

Reaction score
I want to purchase a pump for whirlpooling and moving the water up to the hot liquor tank.

I am interested in buying a chugger but I am undecided between the following two I and don't know the difference other than the inflow on the first is 3/4" and the configuration of the inflow/outflow.
CHUGGER PUMP CPSS-CI-1 Stainless Steel 115 Volt Center Home Brewing System Beer Pump, 55” Cord WITH Plug, Inlet 3/4” x Outlet 1/2” MPT, ETL-Certified, USFDA Food Compliant Materials
CHUGGER PUMP CPSS-IN-1 Stainless Steel 115 Volt Inline Home Brewing System Beer Pump, 55” Cord WITH Plug, Inlet 1/2” x Outlet 1/2” MPT, ETL-Certified, USFDA Food Compliant Materials

The first pump has the inflow going directly towards the pump and the second one has the inlet and outlet inline.

The first one is cheaper by about $25 ($32 Canadian)

Please advise if there is any difference and if I should consider one over the other.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one is also 3/4 inlet. A larger intake will help if your pulling in a mess of debris like hops, just better suction, but if your just looking at center inlet or side, it's personal preference. Look how you will have it plumbed.

I have the 3/4 center inlet and like it very much, but have no experience with the side 1/2 inlet.

The same Amazon store was selling the inline model for $117 prior to August 31. That's a huge price jump.
Center or tangential inlet, the performance difference is quite small. I'd buy on price if plumbing allows...

Cheers!

The center inlet is also nice because it doesn't require clearance beneath the pump.

I have the centre inlets and they have been great. I've never really had any priming issues. I usually open the ball valve on the pump output without the hose attached briefly allowing the pump to prime. That being said even if I don't do that it's never really been a issue. Make sure your pumps are mounted low if possible. Cheers

Thanks for your help everyone. I have ordered the the one with the center inlet.

Next question - My drain valve is 3 1/2 inches from the outside bottom of my keggle. At what height will I place the pump outlet and what height will I place the pump inlet for the most effective whirpool?

Any other hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

My pumps are mounted about 2 feet below my kettles. I've seen several lower that that. I typically have my whirlpool return close to the top of my wort level as I chill during my whirlpool and it help avoid stratification this way. Cheers

For those with the center inlet, how are you attaching your hose? I run 1/2" silicone tubing with the ball lock style quick connects. Not sure how I'd connect that to the center inlet model.

No sure what your asking. I've attached a picture of my pumps. Cheers
Screenshot_20180914-121753.jpeg

I use camlocks with mine, bobby (brewhardware.com) stocks the 3/4'' npt to 1/2'' camlock, which in my mind was designed for use with these 3/4" center inlet pumps. I personally have one of the standard ones with the fan exposed and you need to add oil regularly, and I also have one of the mini-max ones that is TEFC with the same head that I bought from Bobby as well.

I have mine about 2 ft below the kettle valves, and then for my recirculation, the fitting is near the top of the kettle.

other hints: put it on a switch of some sort. I now have a dedicated wall switch that I put in when I went electric for everything, but before then I used those wireless remote switches for the pump.

To help with priming, what I do is open the kettle/hlt valve to the pump, and let it flood the volute/head as much as possible, then I typically pulse the pump a couple times to clear out any air bubbles that remain, and then leave it on.

You will also want a valve on the output of the pump to throttle flow when needed. I do this when using the pump to vorlauf and lauter from the MLT. I personally have the tri-clamp take apart valves, which have been awesome to use, but they are pricey.

Also, make sure to drain the rinse and then drain the volute/head when you are done, otherwise I've noticed it can get a bit stuck the next time I use it sometimes.

Once you have a pump, you will realize how much easier it makes certain tasks, and also safer for moving hot liquids. I also use mine to recirculate BLC through my tap system.

with any adapter, I'd think you'd lose the benefit of the 3/4" input if everything feeding it is 1/2".

Honestly, the input to the propeller area is so small that I can't see 1/2" fittings and hose being that much of a detriment. Couple that with the fact that there aren't nearly as many 3/4" fittings readily available to us, as homebrewers, as there are 1/2". I happened to be cleaning my pump out so I snapped a few quick pics for reference. Both pics are from a center inlet Chugger with the 1/2 to 34/" camlock fitting on the front from Bobby.

IMG_3680.jpg
IMG_3681.jpg

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...that you'd need an adapter. I've seen the camlock reducers, but with any adapter, I'd think you'd lose the benefit of the 3/4" input if everything feeding it is 1/2".
I guess. I didn't buy the pumps because of the input size it was because of the orientation. I'm not sure what advantage having a 3/4 input would have anyways unless everything was 3/4.cheers

Again fwiw with the reducer I've never had any issues with mine. They've worked excellent. Ive brewed 400+ gallons on them . Cheers

Back