Which beer needs to condition longer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTfireman

Reaction score
I put this in the general section, but please move it if another section suits it better.

I have been asked to brew a couple of beers for a Halloween party (on Halloween). Today is September 14 for reference. I am brewing the Irish Red from Brewing classic styles and a Guinness clone. I’ll be brewing one in a day or two and then the other one around Oct 1. I’ll be kegging both.

My question is, which one should I brew first? I usually brew hoppier beers that are best enjoyed fresh, so I don’t usually pay attention to conditioning time. But I understand that can matter more with these maltier styles. If everything goes as planned both will have two weeks in primary. But one will have two weeks to carb/condition while the other one will have a month. Based on these styles does one need more conditioning time than the other? Or am I overthinking this?
Thanks.

I put this in the general section, but please move it if another section suits it better.

I have been asked to brew a couple of beers for a Halloween party (on Halloween). Today is September 14 for reference. I am brewing the Irish Red from Brewing classic styles and a Guinness clone. I’ll be brewing one in a day or two and then the other one around Oct 1. I’ll be kegging both.

My question is, which one should I brew first? I usually brew hoppier beers that are best enjoyed fresh, so I don’t usually pay attention to conditioning time. But I understand that can matter more with these maltier styles. If everything goes as planned both will have two weeks in primary. But one will have two weeks to carb/condition while the other one will have a month. Based on these styles does one need more conditioning time than the other? Or am I overthinking this?
Thanks.

I would brew the irish red first, IME they benefit from longer cold conditioning more than a nice light irish stout and they are more pleasing to look at when they are clear. But honestly I think either way would turn out fine.

I'd do whatever had the higher gravity first. Usually dry irish stouts are pretty light and low in gravity so I'd think you'd be ok with brewing that 2nd. Plus it's black and doesn't matter as much about clarity. The red you'll be able to see a lot more so it would benefit from cold crashing longer.

Back