Which Apple Grinder to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isthatafireparade

Reaction score
Ive been dabbling in hard cider and so far I have only bought juice from a local farm and Im ready to take the plunge to start pressing myself. I am in the process of building a press but the grinder has me stumped. I want something that can grow with my production. I am looking to do 30 gallons this year but next year Id like to go bigger 100+. As you can see I have commercial inspirations but definitely not a commercial budget at the moment.

I definitely don't want a hand grinder. Most of the grinders I have looked at are $1000+ which I am willing to buy but is this the only option? It seems that grinders in the US are far and few between. The only restrictions I have is that I want to use 110 power at the moment. If there is something that is much cheaper and really great quality then I might consider 220v put I would have to have it installed and need to consider that cost as well.

If you are handy, you can make a grinder of pretty good capacity that runs on 110 pretty inexpensively. The internet has loads of plans, etc., but I would suggest the grinder made by Claude Jolicouer for which you can find pictures, instructions, etc. on the web.

Thanks Archer, I have looked all over the internet and Im not too confident with them. I have that book you are talking about and its amazing but Im not really looking to build a grinder.

If you don't want to build one then you just have to stump up for a proper stainless grinder. At least you will have something built for the purpose that can handle large volumes of apples if necessary. There are generally 2 levels, the cheaper domestic models based on a SS version of a garden shredder, or the more expensive commercial grade which smash the apples rather than chopping them.

Back