Where to store bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon1975

Reaction score
Tomorrow I’m going to keg 4 gallons and bottle one gallon. I always cold crash my beers. According to Brewersfriend, I’m to use 0.3 oz of corn sugar with the beer temp being at 35 degrees. My question is once I bottle the beer, do I store the bottles in the fridge or in the basement at 68 degrees?

Also how much water would I use?

Thanks! Cheers!

You only need enough water to dissolve the sugar. Boil the sugar in the water to kill any bugs, but make sure you don't boil long enough to turn it into candy.

Leave the bottles at room temperature long enough to carbonate and condition before putting them in the refrigerator.

Leave to condition/carbonate at room temps (~65-75F) for about 3 weeks.
You could do it at lower temps (~60F) but it will take longer or you risk it may not happen at all. The yeast needs to be in an environment where it can be active, hence the higher temps.

Microwave your priming sugar with a little water to boiling point in a clean glass (Pyrex) measuring cup or so, covered with some plastic wrap. Microwaves are dirty! You could use a small stainless pot on the stove, instead.

There's a lot of information on bottle conditioning and natural carbonating on the internet. Google is your friend.

If you want to keep your search limited to HomeBrewTalk type this:

site:homebrewtalk.com your_query​

Last edited:
Tomorrow I’m going to keg 4 gallons and bottle one gallon. I always cold crash my beers. According to Brewersfriend, I’m to use 0.3 oz of corn sugar with the beer temp being at 35 degrees. My question is once I bottle the beer, do I store the bottles in the fridge or in the basement at 68 degrees?

Also how much water would I use?

Thanks! Cheers!
Use the highest fermentation temperature when determining the amount of priming sugar to use instead of the cold crash temperature. The highest temperature determines how much CO2 is left in solution after CO2 production ceases during fermentation.

I’m thinking 68 degrees and store in the basement or maybe just buy a Blinchmann beer gun [emoji16]

Don't dismiss @flars recommendation... otherwise you are likely to have under-carbonated beer. When using those calculators, you'll really should enter the highest temperature the beer was held at.

Back