Where to place a Blichmann BrewMometer on a pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 62-Qt. Stockpot 15.25"d x 18.75"h and going to add a Blichmann BrewMometer to it how high should I place for the best temp reading?

Will use it to for a HLT and maybe turn it into a MLT later.

I just bought a 9 gal pot and the upper hole was about 7" from the bottom and that only works if there is more than 4 gallons of water in it. Since I use this as my HLT that is not convenient. I also did an experiment yesterday where I put a floating thermometer in the pot with 5 gallons of water in it and heating it to boiling. Along the way I was checking both thermometers and at some points they differed by 5°. Just thought I would add this in case it helps you.

Temperature stratification is something we all have to deal with unless we're stirring it constantly or it's at a boil. At a boil though, you don't really need to know what the thermometer says anyway.

I'm with the 6" from the bottom thought though. You want to make sure it's below the surface for the smallest batch you intend to put in there, but you also don't want it so low that your burner is cooking it on the outside.

Back