Where to go in Oregon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
I'm planing on driving from Alberta Canada down through Idaho then out to Portland, then to the Oregon Coast, then up throgh Washington and home. I have in my head a few places to stop (Pelican in Cape Kiwanda, Chuckanut Brewery in Bellingham amoung others). But the choices seem almost overwelming.

My question is what are the cannot miss breweries, taphouses, & beer bars in Oregon, and Washington & Idaho for that matter.

Thanks

Rudeboy

I can speak to several ofthose areas.

Idaho: If you're in Boise area, hit Edge and Sockeye Brewing- If you're coming down 84 in Eastern Oregon, hit Barley Brown's in Baker City- Gold at GABF 2012 for IPA and their other beers are fabulous.

Portland: Hopworks Urban Brewery- Deschutes, any of the Lompoc neighborhood Taverns, Breakside Brewery. The Lompocs are my favorite- really great neighborhood places that really feel.....Portlandish....Great food, too and really nice ales
Also hit the Belmont Station in south portland- amazing selection including some rare beers- great tap list too
Skip- most of the big ones- Bridgeport, Widmer, etc

Washington: Can't say enough about stopping in Mount Vernon and hitting Empire Ale House, the Porterhouse, and the Trumpeter. All in a great downtown, and between the 3 (a 4 block walk), you'll have about three dozen top-notch beers on tap, and great food. Skagit River Brewing is overrated- I'd definitely hit the taphouses before the brewery.

Seattle: Georgetown Brewing, Elysian, Pike
Skip: Pyramid

If you find yourself coming through Bend on your way to Portland, stop by Crux and Boneyard. Awesome, awesome breweries.

And if you're swinging through Eugene, you'd be silly to skip over Oakshire. Without a doubt one of my favorite breweries out there!

If you find yourself coming through Bend on your way to Portland, stop by Crux and Boneyard. Awesome, awesome breweries.

And if you're swinging through Eugene, you'd be silly to skip over Oakshire. Without a doubt one of my favorite breweries out there!

Not only is Oakshire great, but it's in our fermentation district...breweries, wineries, cideries, meaderies and a distillery all within a few blocks of each other.

Rogue has places in Portland, Newport and Astoria. You can try the Dead Guy Ale and Dead guy whiskey. Ft. George in Astoria. The ale trail in Bend is also good.

Also a+++ to Hair of the Dog and Belmont Station

When are you visiting? July is Oregon Beer month tons of festivals, lots of beer to drink!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You definitely want to allocate a couple of days in downtown Portland. Deschutes, Rogue, etc as stated above. Bailey's Taproom in Portalnd is great. 24 rotating taps of beers, usually of the rare variety. Electronic board displaying amount of keg left. Hit up their Facebook page and you'll get the idea.
Von Trapp's in Seattle is a cool German experience. Traditional German food, bier and music with indoor bocce courts. Biers are mixture of local US brewed and imported. Other craft beer styles as well.
Your in for a great trip. That part of the world is breathtaking.

52 and counting breweries in Portland, Oregon, so plenty of choices. My favorites are: Cascade Barrel House for about a dozen sours on tap. Hopworks Urban Brewery/HUB for a good selection with generally a few Belgian style beers available and good food with a good "Portland" experience/vibe. Hair of the Dog for amazing limited production beers and really good food. Breakside for a wide selection of beers with a lot having interesting/culinary ingredients and good pub food. Plus, Laurelwood for a solid selection of mostly NW style beers and a pretty varied menu.
For taphouses, Belmont Station is amazing and has a huge selection of bottles, Horse Brass has more than 50 taps with a great selection of beers and English pub surroundings (also, arguably, a large part of turning Portland into Beervana), then there's Bailey's Taproom, Saraveza, and Apex.
If you have a chance get bottles from Upright and The Commons at a store in Portland.
Double Mountain- solid mix of NW and German/Belgian style beers, Pfriem for excellent Belgian style beers in Hood River.
Ft. George in Astoria for a neat place to visit on the coast and especially good stouts.
Crux, Boneyard, and 10 Barrel in Bend if you stop there.

Since your going to be driving down 26 to the Coast if you like Baseball you should stop by the Stadium in Hillsboro and watch a game..its just a Single A minors team but the stadium is awesome, theres not really a bad seat in the place, they have good Bridgeport beer and its not all that expensive and they play every day from now until like the end of August...like 3-4 days here, 3-4 days on the road.

Honestly im not a fan of baseball in general, its a boring sport to watch on TV to me but its damn fun with a beer and hotdog when your 15 feet from the first base line with $15 seats.

Since your going to be driving down 26 to the Coast if you like Baseball you should stop by the Stadium in Hillsboro and watch a game..its just a Single A minors team but the stadium is awesome, theres not really a bad seat in the place, they have good Bridgeport beer and its not all that expensive and they play every day from now until like the end of August...like 3-4 days here, 3-4 days on the road.

Honestly im not a fan of baseball in general, its a boring sport to watch on TV to me but its damn fun with a beer and hotdog when your 15 feet from the first base line with $15 seats.

How do you bring this up and then NOT mention the name of the team?!?!

THE HOPS! THEY'RE THE HILLSBORO HOPS!!!!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404974475.772501.jpg

I'm a fan of Payette in Boise.
There are two places in Eastern Oregon that I recommend: Terminal Gravity in Enterprise and Barley Brown's in Baker City. Never actually been to either but I've had plenty from both and never had a bad beer.
In Bend, +1 to Boneyard and Crux. RPM from Boneyard is my favorite IPA, period. I think Worthy is doing is doing some decent stuff, too.
I think Pelican is a bit overrated (and overpriced). When we go to the coast, we usually just take a load of growlers and hit up The Growler Guys (Bend, Eugene and now in Portland, I think, too). They always have good, affordable stuff.
Happy travels.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I wasnt going to read through the whole thread so if I'm posting the same as someone else, please forgive me...

Bend OR - Almost on your way home - Stops MUST include Deschutes Brewery and Ten Barrel

Eugene OR - Ninkasi Brewing

Hood River OR - Full Sail Brewing

Then a trip across the river to a TON of Washington wineries in the Columbia Valley!

Latest posts

Back