Where to get Spruce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torilen

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using spruce in a Christmas beer. The LHBS doesn't sell Spruce, and I don't see it on Amazon, except as an extract/essence. Any ideas on where I could get this, or should I just go with the essence?

Thanks

at this point you're probably going to have to go with essence. I've been told that when brewers add spruce, it is usually new growth of spruce trees that are collected in the spring.

I wonder how well it would work to freeze the spruce tips for a few months and thaw it out around this time of year. Maybe if they were vacuum-sealed it would work?

That's what I was afraid of. What do you think about using rosemary, instead? I see that it is stronger than
spruce, and you have to be careful. I'm making a 1 gallon batch. I'm thinking maybe 1/2 an oz of fresh rosemary
for the last 10 minutes of the boil, and then take it out quickly.

Rosemary =/= spruce...

at this point you're probably going to have to go with essence. I've been told that when brewers add spruce, it is usually new growth of spruce trees that are collected in the spring.

I wonder how well it would work to freeze the spruce tips for a few months and thaw it out around this time of year. Maybe if they were vacuum-sealed it would work?

I made a spruce IPA this spring using fresh tips and it's probably the best beer I've made.
Even won a blue ribbon at state fair in the spice/herb beer category.

But yeah, that's a spring thing.

I do have some that I picked in the freezer and want to make It again using those to see if it comes out the same.

If you can get Boulevard they have a rosemary IPA in their mix-12 pack right now....very meh beer....but you can see what the rosemary is like.
(You'd also have to choke down 11 other Boulevards)

I have a friend who does a spruce beer commercially (http://www.blackhuskybrewing.com/blackhuskybrewingsproosejoose.html) and he goes out in the spring for the spruce tips.

I've only had one rosemary beer. It was awful.

The rosemary beer was a rosemary stout, entered in a competition. All I could taste or smell was LAMB ROAST. Now, I love roast lamb but the beer just exuded that aroma so much that I couldn't drink the beer. I'd be very very careful with rosemary!

Thanks for the advice. I think I will FORGET the idea of using rosemary.
I sure don't want to be drinking lamb roast. :)
I'll try to keep it in mind for next spring, and go out to my hunting places
to get some while I'm out there.

I'll look to using essence for this beer, if I decide to do that. I may go with
the usual and use orange zest. I'll mull it over. (hehehe)

While we're at it - since I know where I can get some - what are your
thoughts on juniper in beer?

Ive got spruce extract arriving today for a red IPA next Tuesday. Amazon was the best price I could find(with prime).
Was the only thing I could find with deep googling

Rosemary is okay if you use restraint. I have brewed 2 beers with it. The first time I used it in a brew, I used a 6 inch long branch of fresh Rosemary. The stem part added a strong woody flavor that took a long time to mellow out. The second time I used Rosemary was in a Cal Common. But I only used six fresh leaf petals, thrown in at flameout. Still, the flavor was quite strong for about 4 weeks. After that though, it was delicious, and some people said it was the best Cal common I had made.

Ive got spruce extract arriving today for a red IPA next Tuesday. Amazon was the best price I could find(with prime).
Was the only thing I could find with deep googling

I order my spruce tips from http://spruceontap.com/ they have some in-stock.

"spruce is harvested, then vacuum packed and frozen within 24 hours. It stays super fresh this way for at least 2 years"

Well son of a *****.
Bookmarked for next year

I bought mine from the same place as DemonsRun posted. My buddy did a spruce IPA and I did a spuce porter.....both were great. The product they sell is great.

I'm thinking about using spruce in a Christmas beer. The LHBS doesn't sell Spruce, and I don't see it on Amazon, except as an extract/essence. Any ideas on where I could get this, or should I just go with the essence?

Thanks

My 'early' spruce tree is starting to pop...

I used my afore mentioned frozen tips this past weekend, I'll let you know if they are as good as fresh. I hope so because due to my schedule, I couldn't wait a week or two to get fresh ones.
If they end up being just as good, you can bet I'll have a bunch in the freezer soon.

Back