Where to find gruit ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ski

Reaction score
So I have just finished my second all grain brew, and being a bit of a nerd I liked the idea of reading up about historical brewing, and being really quite a big nerd quite like the idea of making a historical brew and taste something that people would have drunk 500 years ago!

So I am thinking of putting together a gruit (a mix of herbs and such to take the place of hops ) and was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get hold of things like bog mrytle and yarrow (in the uk) ?

failing any way to order these online I think I will probably go on a hike and dig up whatever I can find to go one step further and brew using the plants found in my local area, and maybe recreate what homebrewers living in my very house would have drunk 500 years ago!

here's hoping history tastes good :D

any advice is welcome!

Some of that may be found in specialty herb shops or metaphysical stores. At least that is where I would start.

ah thanks for the info and links guys! I might try some google translate as my dutch isnt the best :s

I think I will try and reduce the hops and put in some gruit for my first go so at least I can rely on a bit of a shelf life, I think I might try some pine needles as well from the christmas tree and really have a festive beer brewing!

Back