Where to find 5 and 10 gallon coolers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaraio

Reaction score
I am ready to go all grain and I wanted to work on tanks this weekend but I can't find any local stores that seem to have them. I would rather get them locally if possible. I suppose I could use a rectangular cooler but I seem to think I would get less efficiency perhaps? I have found the 5 gallon coolers on the net but it seems everyone wants to rip you off on them, especially homebrew stores. Any ideas?

Your local or big box hardware store should have them. You can also try walmart or sporting good stores. FWIW, i use a cube-shaped cooler for my MLT.

Walmart & target have cheap rectangular coolers. Walmart & home depot have 5 gal round coolers for ~$20. Home depot has the 10 gal round for ~$40.

post it under wanted on Craigs list. I did that and had 3 10 gallon coolers offered by the end of the day.

post it under wanted on Craigs list. I did that and had 3 10 gallon coolers offered by the end of the day.

I hope they were new as I would hate to mash in a cooler that was used for who knows what!

To the OP, at HD you may have to look near the garden section, like mentioned, but on the top of the big shelves packaged away for the winter. I had to specifically have someone go up there and get mine about 2 months ago.

Good luck!

Ace hardware usually has them as well if there is one around you. Call ahead and save yourself some time.

HD is a good place but save yourself time and don't ask for cooler or water cooler

I asked for them and THREE reps sent me to the water coolers like you would have in an office...

I finally had to go aisle by aisle in the store to find them myself...when I asked one of them about it, they called it a Gatorade cooler...I almost punched him.

For my MLT and HLT I bought $19.99 Igloo Ice Cube 50 Quart coolers from Target. After several successful 5 gallon batches, I am very happy with them so far. I am going to attempt my first 10 gallon batch over the holidays.

the home depot website (and the lowes website) is probably the worst piece of crap ever.

you actually can't find about 90% of the stuff they have in the stores on it.

the home depot website (and the lowes website) is probably the worst piece of crap ever.

you actually can't find about 90% of the stuff they have in the stores on it.

And 50% of the stuff you DO find online that says it is in stock at your store...they don't have.

HD is a good place but save yourself time and don't ask for cooler or water cooler

I asked for them and THREE reps sent me to the water coolers like you would have in an office...

I finally had to go aisle by aisle in the store to find them myself...when I asked one of them about it, they called it a Gatorade cooler...I almost punched him.

Curiously, I had a similiar experience- and in IL. Just don't bother to ask the store personnel, wander around near the garden stuff and you'll run across the coolers sooner or later.

.....or maybe you'd have better luck asking for dog kennels. (Fair warning: Monty Python skit coming up.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back home from Home Depot. I picked up a 5 and 10 gal. The 5 gal is $19 and the 10 gal $39 and some change. The had a boatload! The section was next to the garden center inside the store. If I remember right they were in the same isle as the chainsaws..weed eaters etc..

I just got back home from Home Depot. I picked up a 5 and 10 gal. The 5 gal is $19 and the 10 gal $39 and some change. The had a boatload! The section was next to the garden center inside the store. If I remember right they were in the same isle as the chainsaws..weed eaters etc..

....right between the mattresses and dog kennels.

Latest posts

Back