Where to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexanderRobert

Reaction score
Ok,

Been brewing with a buddy for a while, but I am going to blow some cash and buy my own equipment. The only problem is I have a tiny apartment with only 1 closet that is in constant use by me and my wife. Any suggestions on where to stick my fermenter? (Besides my bum!)

Plastic tote bin. Stick fermenter in bin, surround fermenter with water. Cover top with blankets/towels/whatever to keep the light out. Add bottles of ice as needed to hold the temp steady where you need to. Not as effective as an insulated temp control chamber, but it does the trick well enough. Takes me minimal effort to hold temps steady in the low 60's.

You need to get a thermometer and scope out temps in your apartment. Once you know the ambient temp zones in your apartment, you will have answered your own question.

I thought about building a closet within the closet...that way I could insulate it to some degree and still manage to keep light out.

I was just going to ask this question, I have large places in my house on post. However I cannot make a chamber like some have. As soom as the VA gets me my percentages and move to NC I can maybe do the chamber. Now I know what do.

Sorry for the hijack:drunk: good question OP now I know some quick fixes:fro:

Back