Where to cut this style keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memorex88

Reaction score
I am starting to make my electric Keggle and came across a 15.5 Gallon keg but not the usual style I see most people have.
This left me wondering where I should make the cut.

In the picture below, the options I see is A, B, C or least favorite D.
The reason I don't like D is 2 fold.
1, I think it's going to be a challenge to cut with the cutting disk jamming/breaking.
2, The lip will trap some steam and condensation drops will fall back in the wort, don't like that idea.

If anyone has a similar keggle and can post a picture, that would be great!

Keg1.jpg

Don't you want to leave enough of a ring at the top so that the keg holds it's shape? I believe that's why everyone leaves a 2-3" lip around the opening when cutting a sanke keg.

Don't you want to leave enough of a ring at the top so that the keg holds it's shape? I believe that's why everyone leaves a 2-3" lip around the opening when cutting a sanke keg.

I think people leave the lip on because with the other style of keg, you can't get close to the edge because of the stand/handles that is in the way. That's what I think at least. Like my7.5 gal brew pot, there is no lip.

I saw one of those kegs in use at a crab boil; it was cut between A & B, with handles bolted to the sides about 2" below the top.

I saw one of those kegs in use at a crab boil; it was cut between A & B, with handles bolted to the sides about 2" below the top.

Here's the whole keg. It's in pretty good shape and once the element and ball-valve are installed, a good polishing should make it look great!

DPP_0800.jpg

Personally, I'd go with D. I would want to have a nice rolled edge on top. I think it would make handling and cleaning easier instead of always having to grab a sharp edge with your hand. You could also drill some pilot holes to allow liquids to drain when tipped upside down instead of being caught by the lip.

Latest posts

Back