Where to buy smaller volume bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
I'm bottling a 12% beer in a couple weeks, and wanted to bottle it in smaller bottles (for obvious reasons). For the LIFE OF ME, I can't find bottles that are 8-10 oz. I thought about using those smaller coke bottles, but they're clear glass and I'm not too keen on that.

Any idea where I could buy smaller volume bottles?

Rolling rock and a couple others still make 7oz ponies, but all of them I know of are twist offs. Other than that, I've got nothin'.

I could never find a source. I haven't looked for a bit, though. I've seen a few beers over the years in 8oz brown bottles so assume somebody is making them, i don't know who, though.

Clear, not brown. 7oz and larger.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/swingtopbottlesmi.aspx

cub7st.jpg
dst8st.jpg

Malta India comes in 7oz brown bottles. No clue if you'd be able to cap them though.

Coronitas! The last ones I got (from a friend, of course) were not twist off. I crimp, turn 90 degrees and crimp again with them though, as one time it didn't seal as well as standard bottles. Hasn't been a problem otherwise.

I haven't found them either. I sometimes keep small soda bottles for bottling wine or mead in. But they are always clear.

For a while I would buy some small green energy drinks and keep the bottle, but I stopped drinking energy drinks. I don't even know if they still make that line of drinks. (Monster I think)

Clear isn't a big deal, just keep them out of sunlight. I understand the concern though, especially if you're aging it for a while.

I actually remember when some barleywines actually came in 7 oz nips. I always thought it made more sense than 22 oz. bombers.

I actually remember when some barleywines actually came in 7 oz nips. I always thought it made more sense than 22 oz. bombers.

I had some Anchor Old Foghorn in 7 oz. bottles a while back. They seem to have moved to 12 oz, though. I still have some old Thomas Hardy's (1994!) that's packaged in 7 oz. (?) bottles. I'm not opening a 21-yo beer just for the bottle though. :)

I had some Anchor Old Foghorn in 7 oz. bottles a while back. They seem to have moved to 12 oz, though. I still have some old Thomas Hardy's (1994!) that's packaged in 7 oz. (?) bottles. I'm not opening a 21-yo beer just for the bottle though. :)

I still have a 7 oz. 1993 Thomas Hardy's. I really need to drink it. Two years ago, I opened a 1990 Thomas Hardy's and it was well past it's prime. Still drinkable, but not what it had been.

I still have a 7 oz. 1993 Thomas Hardy's. I really need to drink it. Two years ago, I opened a 1990 Thomas Hardy's and it was well past it's prime. Still drinkable, but not what it had been.

At this point I'm just keeping to say I made it to the 25 years. I don't have much hope of it being any good. I have about 10 bottles from the mid-late nineties. Maybe I'll break them all out when the 1994 turns 25.

At this point I'm just keeping to say I made it to the 25 years. I don't have much hope of it being any good. I have about 10 bottles from the mid-late nineties. Maybe I'll break them all out when the 1994 turns 25.

they've all gone bad. send them to me for disposal and I'll send your bottles back.

Clear glass bottle plus Plasti-Dip, yo:

7767597084_ec8272d942.jpg

That's ballin'!

(Not my picture BTW, stolen from Google images)

THIS was my backup plan. Thanks for all the feedback! Not sure I need 100,000 bottles...but I'm willing to negotiate a deal with 1,000 other HBT members.

Any takers?

No playin' jus' sayin', you sprayin' hops stayin'
Slip dat sip to yo lips with dat non-slip grip

*drops mic*

+1 vote for Coronitas. 7 oz clear bottles that are easily accessible (you just have to drink the Corona that's inside them or find someone else to drink it). Store them in the dark or just find a way to cover them (I would imagine spray paint would work once the bottles are sealed... you could get creative with your color scheme too).

Coronitas, then get some colored tissue from a party store, the stuff they use in gift bags. Wrap up the bottles like some Belgian brewers do, voila!

Or just keep them dark. I picked up a case to give away sours, still need to actually use them though

Liquor stores often have fancy tonic and other mixers in smaller pry top bottles.

I'm bottling a 12% beer in a couple weeks, and wanted to bottle it in smaller bottles (for obvious reasons). For the LIFE OF ME, I can't find bottles that are 8-10 oz. I thought about using those smaller coke bottles, but they're clear glass and I'm not too keen on that.

Any idea where I could buy smaller volume bottles?

These are making the rounds here in Montana.
My brother in law was drinking them at Christmas. I've been having him save them for my barley wine. To date he has drank 8 of 24, why couldn't my sister have married an alcoholic.:D

I figure my bench capper should be able so seal down the caps if I give it a couple of tries and rotate in between.

IMG_0105.jpg

I would look for 187ml wine bottles. 187ml champagne are usually always clear so look for wine. You can find them colored by searching them out. Bought some cobalt blue ones on eBay last year family cheap. You do have to cork them though. Problem with the smaller bottles and trying to cap is if you have a wing capper it will usually crack the bottle that are that small. Little better luck with a bench, but not much.

I just bottled up a Russian Imperial Stout that was DANG close to 10% ABV and my buddy suggested putting it all in some 750ml Rogue brewery bottles I had sitting around. The argument is premised on the fact that... I won't open up a huge bottle unless I have a few friends around to share it with. Perhaps it will last longer that way?! IDK... but it's worth a try I think!

Malta Goya in 7 oz brown twist-offs. I have successfully capped these and 6 months later the last brew was fine.

A big imperial like your 12% will take 12 months to season. I think the capping will last at least that long.

But really, fill up some 12 or 22 oz bottles and share them. Consider wine is a few points over that and a bottle is usually shared.

This is the website for my LHBS. They do online ordering; although not listed online I was shopping for some smaller bottles for mead and saw that they do sell the clear glass 187ml bottles taking regular caps. They're a cool bunch, give them a call and see if they'll ship you some.

http://www.beer-wine-brewing.com/store/home.php

These are 11oz but I would think you could under fill them a bit without much of a problem. It is a decent beer I have 6 cases of them sitting in my garage... but i never bottle anymore. You need a bench capper for them though a wing capper wont work.

maxresdefault.jpg

These are 11oz but I would think you could under fill them a bit without much of a problem. It is a decent beer I have 6 cases of them sitting in my garage... but i never bottle anymore. You need a bench capper for them though a wing capper wont work.

maxresdefault.jpg

Curious...why a bench capper? Are the mouths larger on them?

Clear glass bottle plus Plasti-Dip, yo:

7767597084_ec8272d942.jpg

That's ballin'!

(Not my picture BTW, stolen from Google images)

Disclaimer: I'm a boxtroll, always been.

Most cardboard boxes are light tight. Easier to store and stack too. Coating 100+ bottles with that dip stuff gets very pricey!

I'm sure you can source smaller bottles, and you don't always have to buy a truckload or pallet though.

Here's an idea:
When you use larger bottles and you can't finish it that day, after pouring a glass, purge the headspace with CO2, then recap. You may lose some carbonation, but the beer is fine.

I always have a utility CO2 hose connected.

I would look for 187ml wine bottles. 187ml champagne are usually always clear so look for wine. You can find them colored by searching them out. Bought some cobalt blue ones on eBay last year family cheap. You do have to cork them though. Problem with the smaller bottles and trying to cap is if you have a wing capper it will usually crack the bottle that are that small. Little better luck with a bench, but not much.

This I wouldn't do since wine bottles are generally not designed to hold pressure.

Curious...why a bench capper? Are the mouths larger on them?

The rib on the edge seems a bit bigger... I tried several wing cappers to no avail and then brought a bottle to my lhbs and tried a bench capped and sure enough it worked : / Been waiting to find one cheap used but I should prolly just unload them as I rarely bottle anything but small batch or competition stuff from kegs.

This I wouldn't do since wine bottles are generally not designed to hold pressure.

In the 187ml range the only difference between wine and champagne is the champagnes are clear. No glass thickness or style difference. Have over 200 that have been sitting for a year of varieties of carb volume levels of 2- 3.5 volumes and have had zero bombs from any. Use a belgian cork and wire cap them with zero leaks.

Latest posts

Back