where to buy a few pounds of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dochawk

Reaction score
I'm going to date myself (again :eek:), I suppose, by mentioning Hoptech . . . from back before that T would have been capitalized, and, well, the WWW . . . it seems that their domain went to a LHBS.

Anyway, what venders are practical for buying a few pounds at once these days of whole hop?

I primarily use (ok, used, apparently the varietals have shifted :rolleyes:) mostly cascade for finishing and dry hopping (hey, I *like* it), and neutral high-alpha for bettering.

Hmm, and it seems I still have some '92 Saaz in the freezer . . .

So it would be typically 5 or 10 pounds at a time, I suppose.

thanks

I'm so far removed from buying hops, I don't remember what hops should even cost!

But isn't $20/lb sky-high?

It looks like Freshhops was the vender I used while back east, as Hoptech shipping got expensive.

I've also been burned enough times by "eBay stores" to be hesitant.

I have bought from Yakimavalley a few times, decent prices.
Cascade is one of my favs, i grow my own cascade and centennial.

I'm going to date myself (again :eek:), I suppose, by mentioning Hoptech . . . from back before that T would have been capitalized, and, well, the WWW . . . it seems that their domain went to a LHBS.

Anyway, what venders are practical for buying a few pounds at once these days of whole hop?

I primarily use (ok, used, apparently the varietals have shifted :rolleyes:) mostly cascade for finishing and dry hopping (hey, I *like* it), and neutral high-alpha for bettering.

Hmm, and it seems I still have some '92 Saaz in the freezer . . .

So it would be typically 5 or 10 pounds at a time, I suppose.

I have used Yakima Valley (flat rate shipping per 4#, pellet). Also Northern Brewer, More Beer, and Williams.

I am.gonna guess... you can use hops that are a tad old? 'Cause if you get a 18 or 19 bag of basic hops (like Cascade) you can get them for ~$10 a pound or less.
Search this thread for a few companies.

Imo, there are too many online legimate stores to risk an ebay. Thats just me tho.

I will edit and update if i find any links

Edit: like 10 posts below... thanks @BruceH for this link.
https://hopsdirect.com/collections/hop-sale

I bought hops from yakama valley hops and adventures in home brewing last month, yakama still has some 2018 leftovers for good prices.

and now the ads below start with "Plaid Print Crop Top & High Waist . . ."

I'm getting a kick out of this algorithm . . .

For the odd few ounces of hops here and there I'll buy from just about anyone. But if going for lb quantities, no question, Yakima Valley Hops. I would also consider hopsdirect for that type of purchase, just not had a reason to stray from YVH yet.

For the odd few ounces of hops here and there I'll buy from just about anyone. But if going for lb quantities, no question, Yakima Valley Hops. I would also consider hopsdirect for that type of purchase, just not had a reason to stray from YVH yet.
If the OP wants a great deal, and can make adjustments for an older year on a standard crop, then hopsdirect may be the best deal.

I didn't take a close look when I was ordering other things, but Ritebrew.com seemed to have a decent supply of pounds of hops. That would be worth a look.

Back