Where to Age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weberju

Reaction score
I bottle all of my beer. I was wondering about the best place to age my beer. Should I do it in the bottles or in the secondary fermenter.

I asked this same question a few months ago, and the general feedback I got was that you can really do either, but some people feel it's better to age the batch all together in the secondary fermenter.

-walker

Hmm, well it seems my post was swallowed up by the nethers of cyberspace :eek:

In short, bulk aging (aging in secondary) has it's merits, but both work. If you only have one carboy, you might not be able to tie it up for a month or two.

I tend to believe that aging in the secondary is best for the first two weeks or so, after which I'm inclined to say bottle it and leave it to age there from then on.

Having said that, I've had beer in the secondary for four days, bottled it and had good beer that tastes wonderful, as well as having beer in the secondary for a month that was wonderful, too.

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

What do you mean when you say age? Are we talking weeks or months? Also, how much trub and stuff is on the bottom of the secondary?

I mostly keg and therefore age in bulk in the keg with very little sediment. I know you can have problems with carbonating down the road if the beer secondaries too long, but I don't imagine you are talking THAT long.

Latest posts

Back