Where should I invest my bucks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloscede2

Reaction score
So, Im almost done with school and got offered a job to start working part time during class (they even let me design my own schedule how cool is that:sly:?) and full time after I graduate in a couple of weeks. Now I can finally set some money aside to spend it in this addicting hobby and I was wondering where that money should be invested. I wanna be able to lager my beer, cold crash, keg, tap, sanitize easily and control fermentation temperature. I currently own basic 6 gallons kits, carboy and pail, a 5 gallons pot and everything else that comes in a regular kit. Maybe a refractometer would be a good addition as well as a bigger pot.

What do you guys think? Help me out!

It depends on how much money you have to spend. A 10 gallon cheap pot will allow full brews without constant worry of boil over. Then you need fermentation tempature control. If you still have money to spend then worry about lagering and cold crash. :mug:

It depends on how much money you have to spend. A 10 gallon cheap pot will allow full brews without constant worry of boil over. Then you need fermentation tempature control. If you still have money to spend then worry about lagering and cold crash. :mug:

Lets say my budget is 1K...

Temperature control. You should have enough left over for a small kegging set up if you do it right. Utilize Craigslist for much of the required refrigeration.

Where do you think you'll end up? Are you planning on doing all-grain? Brew in a bag? What?

Over the years I've had a number of interests and hobbies (still do) and what I noticed is that early in the hobby I'd buy cheap and then later buy better capacity or quality--and be regretting what I bought in the first place.

So--much like they say when buying a gun safe ("Always buy one size larger than you think you'll need"), don't limit yourself with the least expensive stuff that only allows you to continue what you're doing. Buy quality, you don't regret it.

Example: When I bought my brew kettle (8-gallon 1.2 megapot), I hadn't anticipated possibly doing BIAB. What the hell, I was new. After my first two extract brews I started thinking about BIAB, and realized that a 10-gallon pot is better for that. Fortunately I lucked into a good used mash tun and a refrigerator for a ferm chamber so it now doesn't matter, but it's illustrative of what I'm talking about.

Good luck in the new job (Congrats!) and in brewing.

PS: A refractometer is very cool; also consider a Ph meter, a digital probe thermometer, and a keg/fermenter washer.

PPS: Edited to add: Since you have a $1k limit, get all the above. Get GOOD stuff. If you're in an apartment a reverse osmosis system is harder, but you can do it well under $200. But other than the equipment above, spend a bit of time thinking about exactly where you want to go. If you're not kegging, consider that too.

Where do you think you'll end up? Are you planning on doing all-grain? Brew in a bag? What?

Over the years I've had a number of interests and hobbies (still do) and what I noticed is that early in the hobby I'd buy cheap and then later buy better capacity or quality--and be regretting what I bought in the first place.

So--much like they say when buying a gun safe ("Always buy one size larger than you think you'll need"), don't limit yourself with the least expensive stuff that only allows you to continue what you're doing. Buy quality, you don't regret it.

Example: When I bought my brew kettle (8-gallon 1.2 megapot), I hadn't anticipated possibly doing BIAB. What the hell, I was new. After my first two extract brews I started thinking about BIAB, and realized that a 10-gallon pot is better for that. Fortunately I lucked into a good used mash tun and a refrigerator for a ferm chamber so it now doesn't matter, but it's illustrative of what I'm talking about.

Good luck in the new job (Congrats!) and in brewing.

PS: A refractometer is very cool; also consider a Ph meter, a digital probe thermometer, and a keg/fermenter washer.

PPS: Edited to add: Since you have a $1k limit, get all the above. Get GOOD stuff. If you're in an apartment a reverse osmosis system is harder, but you can do it well under $200. But other than the equipment above, spend a bit of time thinking about exactly where you want to go. If you're not kegging, consider that too.

Thanks a lot for your help. I will think of quality then. I am all grain and do biab and Im currently happy with my system. I only do 4 gallons batches so My 5 gallons pot is not enough, I mean, I can do it but it almost always boils over. I was thinking in getting a fridge strictly designated to ferment and a controller to ferment the temp inside.
Also, Im tired of bottling, I honestly prefer kegging but it sounds complicated. Bsides, where do you put your kegs? In a kegerator? Would that also be a good investment?
Thanks again for taking the time of readinf and writing that big recommendation.

Here's another perspective that departs from the typical 5 gallon "requirement."

Keep your pot, and brew 2-3 gallon batches. Kegging is great, but it requires a dedicated cold space that you might simply not have in your apartment. But even if you do figure out a way, 2.5 and 3 gallon ball lock kegs are available. And most of the components are reusable if/when you add 5 gallon kegs to the mix.

The bigger pot is great, but with it comes scaling up on all fronts - bigger fermenters, bigger chambers to fit the bigger fermenters, bigger vessels to package the beer, etc. - it can be a real pain if your space is limited to begin with. And it's not necessary! Just... brew less beer per batch.

Definitely invest in fermentation control (convert a small fridge and add an Inkbird). This will allow you to ferment ales and lagers properly, and experience the quality that comes from temperature control.

Get an immersion chiller and a refractometer.

And here's a non-sexy but very practical suggestion: Invest in ingredients! And with them, brew lots of different styles, learning about the different grains, yeasts, and hops. Hone your basic techniques and learn what works for you. Keep bottling - not too terrible with 2-3 gallons worth.

Here's another perspective that departs from the typical 5 gallon "requirement."

Keep your pot, and brew 2-3 gallon batches. Kegging is great, but it requires a dedicated cold space that you might simply not have in your apartment. But even if you do figure out a way, 2.5 and 3 gallon ball lock kegs are available. And most of the components are reusable if/when you add 5 gallon kegs to the mix.

The bigger pot is great, but with it comes scaling up on all fronts - bigger fermenters, bigger chambers to fit the bigger fermenters, bigger vessels to package the beer, etc. - it can be a real pain if your space is limited to begin with. And it's not necessary! Just... brew less beer per batch.

Definitely invest in fermentation control (convert a small fridge and add an Inkbird). This will allow you to ferment ales and lagers properly, and experience the quality that comes from temperature control.

Get an immersion chiller and a refractometer.

And here's a non-sexy but very practical suggestion: Invest in ingredients! And with them, brew lots of different styles, learning about the different grains, yeasts, and hops. Hone your basic techniques and learn what works for you. Keep bottling - not too terrible with 2-3 gallons worth.
Knuckle is right practice brewing and with different styles and ingredients, you will have some Duds but you will also learn what you can do and what you like!:mug:

Latest posts

Back