Where have all the brewpots gone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strangebird

Reaction score
You know the song... sing it with me... ;-)

Okay, so I've been pricing out SS pots on Austin Homebrew which seems to have the best prices on the sort. I'm looking to do full 5.5gallon boils. So from what I've been reading on the threads here is 8-10 gal is most recommended. Here's the thing. So many of the pots are out of stock. Ironically, many of the other suppliers are as well. At least in the price ranges I can handle.

AH is out of their economy pots in this range and won't have them in until November 26th! Ouch! So at this point I'm considering waiting for the 40Qt Economy or picking up the 38Qt Premium stock pot or the 40Qt Megapot. My question is whether they are worth the 60-80% additional cost. I can read the specs on these pots, but without being able to see them, it's tough for me to justify the cost. But I also would rather not wait two months(!) for the econo to come in.

The other suppliers I've checked are either considerably more expensive or are out of stock as well. What is it, an early run on these for Christmas? Did a kettle factory burn down and cause a worldwide shortage? :D

I wouldn't doubt if there is a run on them for the holidays, at least in my area. It's almost tamale season! How bout making a keggle? Thats what I'm doing.

Your memory is good lumpher. One question I have about the one your suggestion is that one version comes with the steamer insert. Do you think it's worth it to get that version? I don't want to "ram" a purchase through so could wait for the 44 qt w/insert to come back in stock or the 36 qt is in stock. I'm assuming a 9gal would be sufficient. They also have the 60 qt in stock.

On ebay search stockpots. There you will find a nice 60qt brewpot (15gallons) from southeast fixtures for a mere $63 plus shipping, which in my case, out to the west coast was $15. You'll be hard pressed to find a better quality brewpot of this size, for anywhere near that amount.
Good luck, and HAPPY BREWING

BrewDawg

you don't need inserts. if you want ss, that 44qt is a decent deal, and will let you do 8-9 gallon boils. i have a converted 15.5g sanke keg, and wouldn't do it any other way, but everyone has their say about that

I have the $50 8-gallon pot from AHS. It's okay. The SS is thin, (not thin enough to bend when pushed though,) and the bottom is single ply. It doesn't heat as evenly as I'd like, but it works. A layer of reflectix helped the wort get to a boil faster. The 8 gallon will become by E-brewpot when I switch.

My 15 gal aluminum pot is much thicker, and heats better. I think I paid $48.

B

i started with a 30 qt from academy at $19.95. when i moved to all-grain, it became my strike water pot. now, it's there in case i need it

I started with a 30qt. ss econo pot from Northern Brewer. Works but very thin and easy to boil over on a 5 - 5.5 batch. I up graded to the 40 qt. mega pot, slightly thicker side walls but the bottom is very thick layered. Still get an occasional boil over if I don't pay attention.

I would go for the better grade pot, I still use the enono for heating water but that's all.

Pending on your location, I'm on the NH seacoast area, you can take a look.

You know the song... sing it with me... ;-)

long time passing.
Where have all the brewpots gone, long time ago?
where have all the brewpots gone? gone to brewerys, every one!
oh, when will they ever learn? oh, when will they ever learn?

okay - blew the dust off that one!

You can always go to your local restraunt supply store .That's the best place to but top quality stuff.You can at least walk in that way and check stuff out.

Yup, already did that actually. There are two places convenient to me. One didn't have much selection. That's the one I frequent regularly to pick up ingredients and other small equipment and supplies and they are really nice and helpful people to talk to. :rockin: The other one I've only been to once. The guy interrupted me mid-sentence :mad: while I was asking a question and then tried to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't need saying that my glass carboys "aren't acceptable" (his words not mine), etc, etc. I'll never gone back. I should have listened to the reviews about the place online.

Whoops. You said restaurant supply, not brew supply. I actually did that already too. Unfortunately, they only carry mostly aluminum and I wanted stainless. They literally only carry two sizes of SS. 60qt and 100qt.

I ended up going with smaller and cheaper for now. 35qt on overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/35-quart-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot/2999436/product.html). Can't beat the price and a bunch of homebrewers gave positive reviews. I figure if I ever decide to go 10gal all-grain then I'm not out too much money when upgrading to 60qt. At that point, I'll probably invest in a megapot which looks pretty sweet.

Back