Where do you throw your hop trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthCitra

Reaction score
After brewing a hop beast IPA and dumping the boiled hops and crap on the neighbors dead grass, i got caught and chased with a broom by an older asian lady screaming something! For my next brew I am curious if it would hurt anything throwing it on my own beautiful yard. lol Same with the trub after fermentation. I will start yeast washing soon enough but for now i wanted to see what everyone else does! :rockin:

When we were big into gardening, we would throw it into the compost. Haven't been growing things much lately, though.

I have an ally next to my house that most of the super trub a dub water gets dumped into after brewday. And after fermentation if im cleaning outside, which i do in the summertime, it goes in the ally. If its winter and im cleaning in the tub I just add like a gallon of water to the carboy shake it up and dump it in the toilet, then clean the rest out in the tub.

My city has a truck that comes around to pick up yard waste, so I just throw it in those bags. During the winter it can just be disposed of with the trash after letting most of the moisture evaporate and cool.

It wouldn't sit well with me to throw spent hops, grain, or anything for that matter in my neighbors yard or an alleyway. I wouldn't want my neighbors throwing their charcoal grill ashes over my fence so I extend the same courtesy to them.

I used to compost them but the dog loves to get in the compost (she ate several pounds of spent grain last time... did not feel well afterward) so I'll probably start throwing them in the garbage after straining. Used to flush them but I'm not on city sewer anymore.

Grain will still go in the compost pile, the dog will hopefully learn, but hops can kill some dogs so I'll keep those away.

Grain will still go in the compost pile, the dog will hopefully learn, but hops can kill some dogs so I'll keep those away.

+1 to this. Hops cause uncontrolled fever in dogs and will kill them. Be kind to the pooches (and asian neighbor ladies).

My spent grain goes in either the composter or my yard waste bin (pay for seasonally). Most of my chilled wort goes into the fermenter. The 1% that is left goes down the kitchen sink with hot water. After I rack out of the my fermenters, I dilute the trub with hot water and dump down the toilet.

Pellets and trub just get diluted and washed down the slop sink. Whole hops were in a spider anyway so they are easy to toss in a plastic bag and into the trash. Yeast sediment just gets diluted and poured down the drain.

It shouldn't HURT anything to toss it in your yard, but I doubt there's any benefit. It's organic matter, but the sugars left will likely attract bees/hornets/raccoons/possums... I'll just put brewing debris in the trash and buy fertilizer from the store.

If you're going to dump them in your grass, I would do it in the backyard (assuming you don't have a dog). I wouldn't want to run the chance of any of the neighborhood dogs getting to it on the front lawn. Personally, I just trash the hops/trub and compost the spent grain.

I don't have any dogs and neither do any of my immediate neighbors. At the end of my driveway towards the back of the house, we have a flower/strawberry garden, I just dump it in there.

Glad you're not my neighbor...I can't fathom my neighbors just dumping **** all over my lawn, I'd love my mind!

Or in an alley for that matter, holy cow dispose of your waste properly!

Glad you're not my neighbor...I can't fathom my neighbors just dumping **** all over my lawn, I'd love my mind!

Or in an alley for that matter, holy cow dispose of your waste properly!

It was dead grass on the other side of the sidewalk closest to the street, not their actual lawn, Mr. Trub police! :cross:

We don't live in a big city, so we have a big garden (or two), some hops growing, lots of plants, quite a few small fruit trees, a greenhouse, and a compost pile. All of my spent grain, hops debris, and yeast/trub gets put into the compost. Except for the spent grain that gets made into dog cookies and treats, and the yeast that I harvest and reuse of course!

I'm told that roses prefer acidic soil, so I've dumped leftover fermentation trub and whatnot in the flower bed. The roses seem to like it, but my wife doesn't, so I don't do that any more...

I may use some soon to see if my serrano and habanero pepper plants would like a little more acidity in the soil...

Yeah, I wouldn't be thrilled about someone dumping a couple pounds of green sludge in my yard because theirs is too "beautiful." But it does make perfectly fine compost. Since I had to rat-proof my composter, I don't worry about dogs getting in either.

Back