Where do you get your dme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidAthlete

Reaction score
We are all out there coming up with or trying everyone else's recepies. How much dme do you go through a year and where do you get it?

I apologize for going off topic here, but I buy extra light LME for $2.25 per lb. Use about 300 lbs. per year. DME tends to be much more expensive in my neck of the woods.

If anyone knows of anything cheaper (L or DME), I would love to know

You used to be able to get it in 50 or 55 # sacks from North Country Malt group, but people are saying they are going to stop selling it by single sacks. You could get it for $98+ shipping bringing the total to $2.38 a pound versus the $4 a pound from local/online vendors.

The fact that they might stop selling it made me start my journey to all grain.

You can brew any beer style with extra light DME then steep different grains to get the colors you want. Just some info incase you buy in bulk!

I heard that also. i did a lot of looking for good price and went with Austin HB. Their prices seem to be the best and they seem to have awsome customer service. I had been buying kits from midwest but they where a good bit higher for DME. LME is tough in buk for storage. I also see Forrest commenting through out the boards with good advice. All grain is not going to happen for a long time so bulk looks like its the best for me.

Regarding purchases of DME in bulk - I've noticed deals for some of the better known names (such as Muntons) and lesser known names - If you're looking for basic pale malt extract, will there be a noticeable difference in quality between different manufacturers? Anyone have any feedback?

I paid 146.00 including shipping from Austin hb for a 50 lb bag. I'm hoping having extra dme around gets me brewing more often. As much as SHE lets me!

I get mine from our LHBS. Might be a little more expensive then online bulk buys but at least I am supporting my local shop!

LiquidAthlete - What part of CT are you from?

Hamden. Who is your LHBS. I really don't have anyone right around the corner. I think Maltose is the closest. I buy frome them whe I can, but their prices are real high. I get cleaning stuff and steeping grains from them. sometimes hops or yeast.

I buy my extract mainly from Northernbrewer. I'll occasionally buy it from my LHBS, but they're pretty expensive.

Northernbrewer makes their own LME, and I find their quality to be excellent. However I mainly use Briess DME.

I've been buying from NCM. Hopefully I can continue. If not I will be buying a few bags jumping in on nearby group buys. Suggest you do the same if you go through a lot of it (I'm probably going to hit 300+lbs of DME for the year). Theres no reason why you can't order DME when everyone else is ordering grains.

My LHBS matches what I used to get it from North Country Malt Group for after shipping, so I buy it there in 50# bags. Briess Pilsen Light is what I buy and I go through about 1 bag a year, since I've started doing PM and AG beers as well.

I've noticed a number of references to Briess Pilsen Light DME - there seem to be some good bulk deals on it - would anyone out there vouch for its quality? Would it work for high gravity beers, Imperial stouts, Belgian Tripels, ect?

I've also noticed some references to "Malt Products Corporation" - http://www.maltproducts.com/ - is anyone familar with its malt extracts?

I love Briess Pilsen both LME and DME. It is great for Germans, Belgians, etc. Due to it being a Pilsen, I do not think I would use it for a stout though. Also I think though I could be wrong that Malt Products corp is geared to food products, not brewing.

Thanks for the feedback. Briess has other light DMEs, don't they - a golden light DME - would this better for stouts?

Leadster, Briess golden light is a quality product. I never had probs with the "stuck at 1.020" issue when I used thier DME. You can use that to make any 2-row/Pale malt based recipe. Thier Pilsen is quality for pilsner based beers. Use your steeping grains for color/added flavor.

Briess Pilsen light has done just fine for me as an all around "Extra Light DME". I've used it in Stouts, Porters, IPA's & just adjust my color with grain if it's an extract batch.

I've always bought my DME from my LHBS. I use +/- 170lb in a year as a guess. I should probably start keeping track of that stuff!

The LHBS sells Briess Golden Light, which I use for 90% of my recipes, for 3lb at $12.90 ($4.30/Lb) and 1lb at $4.20. (I don't know why the larger quantity would be more than the smaller but I just got the numbers from my receipt for my last brew session.)

I am seriously considering buying DME in bulk from Norther Brewer, though. They sell a 50lb bag of Briess Golden Light for $125.99 ($2.52/Lb). That's almost half the price of buying 7lbs for every batch at the LHBS! Although, I've never gotten a price from them on a 50lb bag of DME. I should run that by 'em next time I'm in.

I buy my extract mainly from Northernbrewer. I'll occasionally buy it from my LHBS, but they're pretty expensive.

Northernbrewer makes their own LME, and I find their quality to be excellent. However I mainly use Briess DME.

I may be wrong but I believe that NB's malt extract is just rebranded Northwestern brand.

I understood it that NB made their own LME.

No homebrew store makes their own extract. Northern Brewer uses Briess extract. These are excellent extracts.

Our Extra Light liquid malt extract is Breiss Pilsen. It is a really great extract with a lovibond of 2. 2-row has a lovibond of 1.8. Kind of makes late edition a moot point.

I may be wrong but I believe that NB's malt extract is just rebranded Northwestern brand.

This is funny. Nothwestern extract is Briess Extract. Northern Brewer's extract is Breiss extract. Our extract is Breiss extract. The best extract on the market.

this is interesting. this place is a few miles from my house!
have you requested a quote? i don't see prices listed. i wish i'd have known there was a local place. i just ordered a 50 lb bag of wheat DME from norther brewer for $125, plus the $25 shipping. altogether about $3/lb, $2.50/lb b4 shipping.

Doesn't William's Brewing make their own extract? If not, who makes it for them?

Doesn't William's Brewing make their own extract? If not, who makes it for them?

Alexanders makes the extract for William's brewing.

I sell about 250,000 pounds of malt extract a year (liquid and dry) and I wouldn't even begin to think that I could make my own extract.

Homebrew stores do not make extract.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest. I figured they had someone making it for them. The process sounds very complicated. There's an article in one of the recent issues of BYO.

They probably won't answer your email. After I posted that link I noticed that on that page they recommend homebrewers go to LDCarlson.com.

Back