where can I get some faucets and shanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my perlicks (YES, they are worth it!!!!!) and shanks and driptrays from Williams Brewing. They had the best price, by far.

The reason for the perlicks is that they are forward sealing, and the only ones on the market. What that means is that there is nothing to get stuck, as they seal in the front instead of the back. Many faucets will stick, to the point that you can not open them, in one or two days of not pouring them (or even sooner).

Yup, your just going to be cursing all the wasted money on the cheap taps the first time you dont pull a beer for a week and you come home and you need a sledge hammer to bust open your tap because its gunked up inside and sealed itself shut...

There's a reason everyone recommends Perlicks over standard cheap taps, its not the bling factor...they are just far superior taps...

Keep researching online and read reviews, I also have Perlick faucets, two 525 ss and one 630 ss. I have had no issues with them. Cheap ones might get gummed up.

You can find some on all the big suppliers websites or probably your LHBS. Check out the Vendors forum on this site.

Adventures in Homebrewing probably has one of the better prices..you can get the new 630SS + shank + tail piece for $67....

ok looks like i have to try and get perlicks. what about the chrome vs ss? how long does the chrome last befor you see the brass?

ok looks like i have to try and get perlicks. what about the chrome vs ss? how long does the chrome last befor you see the brass?

As far as i know the 630 only sells Stainless versions.

As for the shank honestly chrome is fine i dont see how it would ever wear off and the only visible bit is the front spinny bit(thats the technical name)...who cares if the rest of its chrome.

Besides brass is a lot more thermally conductive than Stainless, which will keep your shanks and faucets colder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 like the link and they are a huge PITA. So much so I went back to picnic taps and will someday use these in a jockey box. I plan to buy some perlicks whenever I come across a deal

I have perlicks on my keezer but I never got into why they are better than others. I didn't know about the sticking after a few days of non use for the cheapos. Sometimes I go weeks without pulling a pint and have never had any sticking whatsoever. Very glad I went for the perlicks.

If you have the money to spend get Perlicks. I have 2 taps of the style that you linked and although they may be great for business purposes (pouring frequently throughout the day) for home use they stick a lot after a week or so. I used them for 2 kegs each before I bought Perlicks to replace them. Shanks are about the same everywhere.

I would list some links but Perlicks are roughly the same everywhere. If you really want to save some money buy the package you linked. Just start with 1 or 2 though. Use them a while and see if the sticking bugs you. If it does get some Perlicks.

Cheers

I prefer the Stainless version, but you cant find the 525SS anymore really...even the Chrome ones im surprised you found.

But if your trying to keep the cost down its an infinitely better solution than a standard faucet. I say go for it.

anything wrong with these? they are much cheaper that anyone else

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perlick-Per...888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461f821e70

I ordered a pair of the 525pc's from ritebrew.com and they ended up being around $43 shipped for the pair. Maybe I'll kick myself down the road for not going with the ss version but I'll agree with everyone else and say any Perlick is going to be much better than a standard faucet. It was nice to be away for a week and come home to pour a beer without the faucet sticking.

this is what I got from https://www.homebrewing.org

I feel like I did pretty well. btw, I heard chrome will last if you clean it right.

Perlick Chrome Plated/Stainless Lever $19.99 5 $99.95
3 1/8" Shank for Faucet
Complete tail piece assembly with 3/16 tail piece $17.59 5 $87.95
Black Tap Handle $3.59 5 $17.95
3/16 tail piece assembly $0.00 5 $0.00

Subtotal: $205.85
Discount(s): $0.00
Taxes:
$0.00
Shipping:
$15.51
Total: $221.36

hmm rite brew is cheaper. I gave homebrewing.org a call and had them adjust prices to match. saved me almost $40

Just ordered faucets and shanks for a jockey box from Ritebrew.com, thanks for the heads up. I was going to spend quite a bit more on Ebay.

How long of shanks would any of you reccomend for going through the door of a fridge? I think I have 2 that are plenty long in the 6" range, one that is 3-4 and hoped to only have to buy two more when I order 5 perlicks.

Shanks are listed at over all length, not thread length. You will also need room for the backing nut and tailpiece. If in doubt, go longer. Speaking from experience, if at all possible, get everything in stainless! Go with the perlicks. Trust me, you will end up regretting it later if you don't. I've had the old style taps and they suck. Anything chrome plated will slowly loose the plating and that stuff is going somewhere. Can't believe that's very healthy for you. Go stainless everything if at all possible!

Just ordered 5 Perlick 525PC, a couple shanks, spanner, growler filler and generic handles for $140 shipped from RiteBrew. Sure SS would be cool, but even the guy at RiteBrew said it wasn't needed. I am sure these will last me years and years and for $19/ea not a bad deal at all.

FWIW I needed 4.5" shanks to go through my fridge door and used a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood on the back side for reinforcement. So a 3.5" could work I think with a thinner reinforcement behind the door.

Back