Where Can I Find This Part?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for an alternative supplier for this part:

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...&Product_Code=120V_Box&Category_Code=EB_Parts

After reading all the horror stories about that website, I would rather not give them my business. I tried to drill a 1.25'' hole myself, but without a drill press it didn't end up working very well...Any ideas on where I can find a pre-drilled electrical box like this? Thanks!

Two thoughts: I've dealt with kegkits for time to time and other than their annoying as hell emails, havent been dissappointed. As for the box, you can get those at Lowes, HD, etc.

Yes, the box is readily available. I thought the OP was looking for one pre-drilled for the element pass-through. That said, I guess I would question one building a control panel without the confidence to drill or punch holes. :)

That is correct, I'm looking for the pre-drilled box. Right now the element will be used without a control box, just as a supplement to my gas range.

Pre-drilled with a 1.25 inch hole? Would you happen to have a link? I tried searching Amazon with no luck.

Hole saws are cheap and useful. Get one and some cutting oil.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Hi all,

I'm looking for an alternative supplier for this part:

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...&Product_Code=120V_Box&Category_Code=EB_Parts

After reading all the horror stories about that website, I would rather not give them my business. I tried to drill a 1.25'' hole myself, but without a drill press it didn't end up working very well...Any ideas on where I can find a pre-drilled electrical box like this? Thanks!

When I mounted the elements in my hot liquor tank and boil pot about a year and a half ago I bought the electrical boxes from kegkits after emailing them. The person who answered the email explained that they machine the hole off center to clear the grounding post inside. He stated that if the hole is not machined off center you can't put a water heater element socket on the element because there is not enough clearance for the socket.

I did not have a problem assembling mine other than a buddy of mine and I had to tighten the nuts four times before the pots stopped leaking. I did not remember if the holes are actually off center so I took the cover off my hot liquor tank box and it is off center plus it looks like they milled a little off the corner of the ground screw post.

If you look at the third picture in the eBay item you can see the corner of the element hex touching the ground post. I know from tightening my two elements that this will not work. I would not have been able to tighten my elements with a water heater element socket because it would not have fit!

So, if you decide to drill your own you need to make sure you drill the hole off center to clear the ground post that's inside the box!

Thanks for the replies everyone. As I said in my original post, I attempted to drill an off center hole using my step bit, but was unsuccessful because I didn't have a clamp/jib to hold the box steady. I believe I would have the same problem using a hole saw as well. I was hoping that there might be another reasonably priced supplier for the pre-drilled box out there other than keg kits. I can't brew again until I have this element installed so I would rather not have to rely on keg kits if I don't have to...

Call your buddies - someone has to have a drill press. You can even offer someone a few homebrews in exchange for using his drill press.

I had success using a 1.25 in hole saw and drilling out the raised portion of this box dead center. No issues grounding the wire or using the element wrench. Hopefully this will help anyone else looking to go this route!

C0z4UNf.jpg

You need to use the hole saw to drill a hole through some wood. I use 3/4 or 2x, whatever is handy. Center the drilled hole over the box and secure the box to the wood with a few screws. There are most likely mounting holes you can use as long as they don't fall in the perimeter of the hole to be drilled. The screws go through the box from the inside and then into the wood. The wood is now mounted to the back of the box. Flip it over and place the box face down on another piece of wood. This is to protect the bit and floor when it blows though the metal. Secure the wood pieces together or , like me, stand on the jig with the hole between your feet. Drill away. Don't forget the cutting oil or you'll dull your saw with one hole. If the pilot bit contacts the metal before the saw is within the jig you can remove the pilot bit. You don't need it with the jig.

With this setup I can make the jig and cut my hole in three min. I get three or four holes with a 3/4 pine jig. Once the jig hole becomes oversized from use you will need to drill a new hole in the jig.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Back