WHERE CAN I DRILL THROUGH THIS OLD FREEZER?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKAN00011

Reaction score
HEY GUYS,

NEW TO THE FORUM, IVE PREVIOUSLY FOUND SOME REALLY GOOD INFORMATION ON TURNING MY OLD FREEZER INTO A KEEZER. ITS ONE OF THOSE WHERE THE SHELVES HAVE THE COILS IN THEM, AND IVE SEEN ALOT OF PEOPLE SAY YOU CAN CAREFULLY BEND THE COILS BACK TO FIT KEGS WHICH I PLAN ON DOING. HOWEVER, WHERE CAN I DRILL THROUGH IT FOR THE LINES? HERES THE FREEZER IM TALKING ABOUT. SINCE THE COILS ARE INSIDE IM ASSUMING ID BE GOOD TO DRILL RIGHT THROUGH THE TOP, CORRECT?

1591754664624.png

Door is always safe, but it is hit or miss anywhere else. I did a small hole (only surface deep and very very careful) in my fridge with a small drill bit and then probed with a small screwdriver to make sure before expanding the hole when I made my kegerator.

Thanks for the tip! I might just drill it through the door then, im not going to mount a faucet on the door or anything, I just need to run the liquid line 8ft to the faucet in the kitchen above (freezer is in the basement)

Correct, the door is the best bet.
The heat exchange coils are twofold:
1. Exchanging cold to the inside of the fridge
2. Rejecting heat to the outside of the fridge

Its likely that top and sides have coils...the back is less likely but I wouldnt chance it

Ps- i love my vertical keezer...i keep glasses in the shelves!

Correct, the door is the best bet.
The heat exchange coils are twofold:
1. Exchanging cold to the inside of the fridge
2. Rejecting heat to the outside of the fridge

Its likely that top and sides have coils...the back is less likely but I wouldnt chance it

Ps- i love my vertical keezer...i keep glasses in the shelves!
Love that!

You can set the freezer at its coldest setting, run for a while, unplug and open door. You will get a film of condensation over the entire inside, but where there are coils, you should be able to make them out as there will be thicker lines of condensation there. Mine is the other kind, but might behave same way.

Just do the door. It will make your life so much easier when you want to add multiple taps.
A59E8F24-73E3-4340-B824-5DB3B813BA1B.jpeg
626A64D0-94FF-471C-BC3E-41D2D7F54CAE.jpeg

Back