Where are the good American grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatspin

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that there are a bunch of great American hops and even some very nice yeasts, but it seems every respected source of brewing information says that American barley is cardboard/flat tasting compared to European malts.

We've got more farmland than just about anywhere in the world. I think there would be a huge craft and homebrew market for super-premium domestic grain. Sure, it's yield is usually lower, but there have to be some altruistic beer-loving farmers out there who can take up the challenge!

My understanding is that barley does not bring the $ per bushel that other crops bring so there are fewer acres in barley to begin with. Also heard that late rains in MT and ID will reduce 2014 yields in the US .. driving up the price of that malted cardboard.

Has anyone else noticed that there are a bunch of great American hops and even some very nice yeasts, but it seems every respected source of brewing information says that American barley is cardboard/flat tasting compared to European malts.

We've got more farmland than just about anywhere in the world. I think there would be a huge craft and homebrew market for super-premium domestic grain. Sure, it's yield is usually lower, but there have to be some altruistic beer-loving farmers out there who can take up the challenge!

It seems the domestic malt market is driven by the very large corporate brewers. Yes the craft beer segment has grown considerably in the last few decades but the large majority of malt is still and will continue to be purchased by the big boys. Forget homebrew, it's a spit in the ocean compared to commercial malt use. Also keep in mind that many, although not all, craft brewers in North America base their beers on domestic malt.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen it's just that the deck is pretty much stacked. It would be tough to get all the pieces to fall into place with a farmer taking a chance on growing different barley varieties, finding a maltster to malt it and then selling enough to make it economically viable.

It may take a 'gentleman farmer' to start the ball rolling on providing homebrewers with premium American malts... someone who can afford to grow and malt the grain as an avocation or hobby, rather than doing it as a living.

It seems the domestic malt market is driven by the very large corporate brewers. Yes the craft beer segment has grown considerably in the last few decades but the large majority of malt is still and will continue to be purchased by the big boys. Forget homebrew, it's a spit in the ocean compared to commercial malt use. Also keep in mind that many, although not all, craft brewers in North America base their beers on domestic malt.

I get the influence that the big guys have, but look at the hops market. There is huge demand for hops today that never would get a second look for anyone making an adjunct lager. It seems that if a good barley could be grown for even slightly less than a maris otter or continental pilsner malt, demand would be huge. Many craft brewers use the domestic 2 row because not much else is feasible. It makes me wonder what role the US barley crop played in the development of the IPA craze. Food (or drink) for thought.

I get the influence that the big guys have, but look at the hops market. There is huge demand for hops today that never would get a second look for anyone making an adjunct lager. It seems that if a good barley could be grown for even slightly less than a maris otter or continental pilsner malt, demand would be huge. Many craft brewers use the domestic 2 row because not much else is feasible. It makes me wonder what role the US barley crop played in the development of the IPA craze. Food (or drink) for thought.

The hop market is a lot different than barley. Most of the world's hop crop is processed into bittering extract. That was the driving force behind the development of higher alpha acid hops, not their use in American craft beers.

I think many craft brewers use domestic 2-row because they want to. It not only keeps the price down but many domestic crafts, and certainly the vast majority of the IPAs, are hop centered with the malt being there only to produce alcohol and a bit of color.

I have to admit, I am a imported malt "slut" myself. With the exception of Rahr pale ale malt(which I find very tasty)....I pretty much try to go with imported base malts.
Just walk into a homebrew shop and chew on some raw barley...you CAN taste a difference.

I agree with gwapo that Rahr pale ale malt is tasty, so is Briess. If you look around, you will find that there are plenty of great american grains...just not online. Google around and find a local farm/malter. Many of the smaller but amazing breweries in America are using local grains...Lawson's Finest is a great example. Hill Farmstead is another...I know the Alchemist is looking to go local as well.

Valley Malt of Massachusetts makes its way into many of our local and regional beers, many amazing. Sometimes into the larger breweries but its hard to produce enough:

http://valleymalt.com/find-our-malt/

Colorado Malting Company http://www.coloradomaltingcompany.com/ is a family owned american maltster that caters to homebrewers. Check them out! I have 4 bags waiting for me at another HBTer's house (Thanks again Brad), but we did a group buy recently from them and I'm really excited to use their grain. Have only heard really good stuff, and they're used by a few big guys (Oskar Blues, New Belgium & Sierra Nevada).

I use Valley Malt for a lot of beers. They have a Malt Of The Month Club that is great for homebrewers. It expensive, but I like to support small local companies like this. Plus, their stuff is organic.

They're also producing some really cool specialty malts that they'll include in the MOTM. They have also been floor malting some base grains. I've got a bag of floor malted Pale that I can't wait to use.

Both those maltsters look amazing. I'm going to have to see if there is anyone doing something similar in my area.

Latest posts

Back