When using fruit in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
How would you go about sanitizing the fruit? I just ordered a honey weizen kit today and am thinking about adding in some raspberries, blackberries, and some other berries when I go to secondary it. Is it better to use whole fresh fruits or get frozen fruits and blend them then add them in.

Just wondering how I would go about adding real fruit in as I have tried the extracts and it was pretty gross.

Greetings xxdcmast,

One of the suggestions would be instead of adding the fruit directly two secondary, I'd suggest you make a 'tea'. Depending on how much fruit you want to add / how fruity you want the final beer to taste, try using two pints of water, bring to a boil, then add your fruit for a min or so, then let it cool to the temp of your primary. Do not rush cooling, let it cool naturally, no ice baths, etc. Once it's reached your primary temp, run it through a clean paper coffee filter, so you don't get any seeds and what not into the juice. Then add the juice first to your secondary and then rack off your primary into your secondary.

For what it's worth. Hope this helps.

cheers
Travel_Mon

Back