When to take first gravity reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganu

Reaction score
When I take my first reading, do I do it right before I pitch my yeast or right after?

I don't know if the yeast would make a difference, except that when I DO take another reading a week or two later, the yeast is obviously in the batch.

Thanks in advance for answering such a rookie question.

I very rarely take one. It just seems like another chance of contaminating the wort when it is very susceptible to spoilage. I trust the ingredients give me the gravity they are supposed to.

I partial mash, and always take a gravity of the mashed wort (pre-boil) to check my efficiency. But I find extracts and sugars to be very predictable.

I probably take a sample pre-pitch about once a year to ensure my calculations are correct.

It shouldn't matter if it's pre or post pitch because yeast don't dissolve into the beer. I do mine whenever I think to do it. It works best if you do it before aerating so you don't have to deal with all that foam in the sample tube.

Back