when to stir and when not to stir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaKid

Reaction score
Im about to start brewing my second batch of beer and im confused as to when it is ok to stir and when it isnt. After I add the LME is it ok to stir every so often to prevent it from burning on the bottom?

I stir the batch thoroughly when adding extract, as you really want that to dissolve properly and avoid burning.

Also, I stir in when adding hops. And then just a general stir every 15 minutes or so, just to keep things flowing.

I don't know if it helps or hurts, but I make sure my spoon is rinsed in my sanitary bath before every stir.

LouisianaKid said:
Im about to start brewing my second batch of beer and im confused as to when it is ok to stir and when it isnt. After I add the LME is it ok to stir every so often to prevent it from burning on the bottom?

Man, my stirrinig borders on OCD but the therapy has really helped:) I stir almost continously for the first 5-10mins and then about every 10mins after that. Stir really well when you remove your pot from the burner and add your LME. You can stir your wort while cooling but be careful not to splash too much as this can introduce harmful bacteria. Definitely stir as gently as possible when adding your finished beer to your priming solution. Some people don't stir at all at bottling but I think I get more uniform carbonation. In the words of Bob Marley,"Stir it up!"

It is always ok to stir, just don't splash it. (The concern with Hot Side Aeration is seriously over stated, but you don't need hot wort on your toes.)

The exception to splashing is just before pitching your yeast. More is better.

project_dc1 said:
I don't know if it helps or hurts, but I make sure my spoon is rinsed in my sanitary bath before every stir.

Surely won't hurt anything but I'd say its a waste of time since the bacteria can't survive boiling. The boiling process is its own sanitation.

Regards,
Al

its ok to stir vigorous until you stop the boiling at the end. then you only want gentle stirring, no splashing, until its under 90 degrees F. at that time its ok to start splashing and getting oxygen whipped into the wort.

once you have airlock activity, you really don't want to be splashing it any more.

Back