When to Rack/remove fruit... no readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobSeibel

Reaction score
S0o0o0o0oo0o I don't have any readings to verify when the primary fermentation has ended...

The air lock is still bubbling at least once every 10sec
It has been two weeks today....

When do you all think I should rack?

When should I remove the bag of fruit I have floating in the fermenter?

Should I remove the fruit?

thanks in advance!

Pretty sure you should wait until after bubbles stop before racking, I'm still a newbie myself so might be mistaken but better to wait until after primary fermentation is over before moving forward.

If you don't hava a hydrometer or refractometer to measure specific gravity, wait until your bubbling really slows down, once every minute- minute and a half... Two weeks isn't very long . Keep gently swirling your fermenter to keep the top of your fruit bag moist... If it drys out nasty, unwanted microbes might grow. Are you planing to use more fruit in secondary?

Awesome thanks!

I am not planing on using fruit in the secondary

I only keep my fruit in the primary for 5-7 days, otherwise things can happen like the fruit can break down too much or mold can grow. Then, I rack to secondary. Really, there is no replacement for hydrometer readings- I rack at about 1.010 or so.

Before that, I do my staggered nutrient additions at certain times during the fermentation, and degas also.

Back