when to plant in upstate NY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Reaction score
ok, right now i have 6 rhizomes in the fridge waiting to be planted.. but im not sure of when to plant them here in upstate NY (syracuse).. does anyone have any suggestions? should i wait until the frost date has passed or should i get them in the ground soon...

any insight would help, especially from people in NY, that could shine some light in of when to plant.. or when they have planted :fro:

I have some rhizomes I'm planning to plant at a summer cabin in Deposit, NY. Not quite as far up as Syracuse, but upstate nonetheless. I'll probably have them in by the end of the month.
I don't know exactly when you guys are no longer threatened with frost up there, but it's my general understanding that frost is bad should be avoided.

I usually don't start planting hops until around Easter (Syracuse). Frost is indeed a bad thing... the ones I planted at my parents place last year are already up and I'm still debating whether to go over and cut the shoots down since the threat of frost or snow is still there. You know... CNY weather.

I planted 1/2 of mine on wednesday. have around 25 left to plant hoping to do it this weekend. However i live near buffalo. My mother being a huge gardener says that 95% of perennials are very frost tolerant. if they started growing some frost should not harm them.

ok, so ill start working on the area i plan on planting tomorrow and get that all ready and plant them.. (btw frost date in CNY is april 28th)

Back