When to cut bines back??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
So I just harvested my first year cascade hops, my production was sub par due to a few mistakes I made that I have identified and have plans to change for next year.......

My question is when is a good time to cut the bines back for winter dormancy and when to digup the crowns to plant for next year.

TIA
Ken

first, let the bines die off on their own, and cut them when they are all shriveled up and dry. secondly, why are you pulling up the crowns, unless of course you plan on cutting some rhizomes, there is no reason to be pulling up the crowns every year.

I am going to be putting the crown in a new planter thats larger. Thank you for the info on the vines.

I can only assume that you have no yard space available then....in that case...get as big of planter as you can get.

Yea my yard space is limited where im at. Right niw i have a 55g wooden barrel that i am going to be using as a planter

Back