When to cool after pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmskis

Reaction score
I created a starter for my lager using wlp 830. I pitched it at 60 and figured if the starter was a little small that pitching it warm will help it a little. My question is how long should I hold it at 60 before starting to cool to fermentation temp of 51? About how fast should I cool it? My thoughts are probably about 12-18 hours after pitching start cooling about 1 degree an hour to fermentation temp.

If it has already been pitched, I would recommend setting your fermentation fridge to 46-48 degrees. Temperature will drop slowly over several hours and WLP830 should have no problem replicating and going to work. Setting the temp 3-5* below your stated 51* will offset the slight temperature increase in the fermeter during the first week or so of fermentation. I have tested this countless times and my five gallon fermenters are always 3-5* warmer than the thermostat during high krausen of lager fermentation.

FWIW, I brew mostly lagers and I always pitch when the wort is at the desired ferm temp and pitch 350-400B cells for a 5 gallon batch if <1.055 OG. Much less chance of yeast stress and unwanted esters, etc with this practice, IMO.

If it has already been pitched, I would recommend setting your fermentation fridge to 46-48 degrees. Temperature will drop slowly over several hours and WLP830 should have no problem replicating and going to work. Setting the temp 3-5* below your stated 51* will offset the slight temperature increase in the fermeter during the first week or so of fermentation. I have tested this countless times and my five gallon fermenters are always 3-5* warmer than the thermostat during high krausen of lager fermentation.

FWIW, I brew mostly lagers and I always pitch when the wort is at the desired ferm temp and pitch 350-400B cells for a 5 gallon batch if <1.055 OG. Much less chance of yeast stress and unwanted esters, etc with this practice, IMO.

My starter was not quite as big as yours... I'm guessing more like 250b. It is going in to 4gal of 1.049.

I pitched it this morning at 60 degrees and have held it there. I will set it to start cooling since it is pitched. I just thought that maybe the warmer temps would help with reproducing initially then cool it when it actually starts the fermentation to avoid the esters and off flavors.

Back