When to check pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PH? Whats that? Seriously, though, I've never checked it, actually. I just use "5.2" in my HLT and have had no worries whatsoever.
Perhaps I should be a bit more vigilant, but I've been quite happy with the final product (beer) so far.

I have been told by others that you need to check it at mash in. If you need to adjust the pH of your mash, it is a bit late to do it when sparging.

15 minutes into the mash the ph should be down in the low to mid 5's. 5.1 5.3 is optimal but 5.0-5.7 will work. All samples are tested at room temperture

Mash PH and Wort PH should be close to equal. If you fly sparge with a more alkaline water, the PH can rise. If this happens and your wort reads above 5.8, you should think about treating your sparge water with some acid.
Phosphoric acid works very well for treating sparge water.

To that end, does anyone else on here use the 5.2 buffer powder? IT says to add to the mash tun, at a tablespoon per 5 gaL. ratio. I use a HERMS system, and have been adding it (instead) to the HLT -I use 9 gals. water in that tank and portion it for that amount -as its the entire amount I'll be using (mash, sparge) to get 6.5gal in the boil pot, to achieve a goal of 5 gals to the fermenter.
SO FAR this appears to be working fine -am I correct in my usage or am I doing something wrong? Any thoughts?

To that end, does anyone else on here use the 5.2 buffer powder? IT says to add to the mash tun, at a tablespoon per 5 gaL. ratio. I use a HERMS system, and have been adding it (instead) to the HLT -I use 9 gals. water in that tank and portion it for that amount -as its the entire amount I'll be using (mash, sparge) to get 6.5gal in the boil pot, to achieve a goal of 5 gals to the fermenter.
SO FAR this appears to be working fine -am I correct in my usage or am I doing something wrong? Any thoughts?

If you haven't checked your mash PH why would you use something to correct it?

The use of 5.2 without a need is just big waste of money. Your malt will drop the PH down on its own in most cases. Buy some test strips and see where you stand brewing with lighter malts without buffers.

waste of money maybe, but not a 'big' one -that stuff isn't that expensive, and I started using it because it locks the ph in, regardless. I figured its a small price to pay for peace of mind. Did buy the strips, just haven't gotten around to checking it. I know my water is a bit on the hard side, tho. My sink and tub are testament to that (grin).

Latest posts

Back