When to buy bulk hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just getting ready to order my first 1lb sack of whole leaf hops from hopsdirect.com and although their domestic 2017 harvested whole leaf hops will be available beginning this Friday, all the imported hops they have listed are still 2016 harvest. Would it be a huge mistake to order whole leaf hops from last year's harvest? If I wait for 2017 imported German hops, when will they be available?

I would say it is not an issue if you have a vacuum sealer to store them in as well as a chest freezer. I have some hops that are several years old and they still smell great! The key is to keep the oxygen out, little light exposure and keep them sealed and cold. The freezers attached to fridges cycle to defrost so they warm up and cool down, this is not good for hops for long term storage.

I would say it is not an issue if you have a vacuum sealer to store them in as well as a chest freezer. I have some hops that are several years old and they still smell great! The key is to keep the oxygen out, little light exposure and keep them sealed and cold. The freezers attached to fridges cycle to defrost so they warm up and cool down, this is not good for hops for long term storage.

Great! I do have a foodsaver vacuum sealer, tons of bags, and a mini freezer controlled by an inkbird that won't cycle like that. I think I'll order a few pounds since the price is so good!

if you are to the stage where you need to order bulk leaf hops, then I would suggest you grow your own. They are EASY to plant, and grow. Given enough water and sunlight they can grow in a variety zones. The best part is they are a perennial, so you get them for free year after year. Personally I grow cascade, Magnum, and styrian. started my rhizomes 6 years ago, and I had a good crop my first year, and every year since. Invest in a good vac sealer and you can preserve them nearly all year.:mug:

I live in an apartment building and struggle every year to get anything our of container grown tomato vines. Couple that with the vertical space required and its just out of the question for the time being. Though I would love to grow my own one day.

Great! I do have a foodsaver vacuum sealer, tons of bags, and a mini freezer controlled by an inkbird that won't cycle like that. I think I'll order a few pounds since the price is so good!

Is your mini freezer a chest freezer? Chest freezers and older model standup freezers with shelves made out of coils are the only ones that don't have an auto defrost cycle. All other freezers do.

The pricing at HopsDirect is fairly good, but calculate in your shipping cost.

Unless things have changed, their shipping tends to be quite high, which can easily break the deal for 1 or 2 pounds. Shipping whole leaf can be especially high, for some strange reason. They only use Fedex, which may be part of the problem. USPS flat rate boxes can hold several pounds at a much better price point for us consumers, with much faster (air) delivery.

That said, I've found ordering 4-5 pounds (pellets) from them a sweet spot, and 8-10 pounds another one, but YMMV, especially with leaf orders. Otherwise, their hops are great quality, you may even get an ounce or so extra (at least they did in the past).

Also check YakimaValleyHops.

If you can, either vacuum seal or purge the bags after opening (only snip a corner). This is probably most important for leaf. I only have access to CO2, so I use that once in awhile on my pellets. Then roll up the flap tightly to squeeze as much of the air/gas mixture out, and seal the flap tight against the body of the bag with some shipping tape. Then back into the freezer.

Is your mini freezer a chest freezer? Chest freezers and older model standup freezers with shelves made out of coils are the only ones that don't have an auto defrost cycle. All other freezers do.

Its a mini fridge with freezing shelf at the top, temp set by an inkbird controller.

Its a mini fridge with freezing shelf at the top, temp set by an inkbird controller.

Ah, mini fridges don't have a defrost cycle either. You would know if ice builds up in the freezer "compartment" normally. The Inkbird may keep ice from forming.

Anyway, hops are best stored in a freezer, 0°F or below, especially for extended times. Not a fridge.

If you have a fridge with a freezer, keeping the freezer full with heavy weight items, like an ice block, a frozen chicken, turkey, etc, it prevents the whole content from getting too warm during defrost cycles. IOW, nothing worse than an empty freezer.

If I wait for 2017 imported German hops, when will they be available?

Shouldn't be too long - a matter of weeks. I don't know the timings in Germany but EKG are harvested in the first week of September, with other British hops coming through in the following week or two, they're almost finished harvesting now so it's just a question of processing and packaging them and then transport across the pond.

Back