when to bottle my sour blonde...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtakacs

Reaction score
i just tasted and tested my sour blonde ale for the first time. it's a small AG batch (2.5 g) and had 1.0 lb of a 3-day sour mash on the pale 2-row. beyond that, it was fermented out with my house yeast culture which contains all sorts of bugs, etc... plus some sacc strains in addition to brett-c and b (this yeast is amazing).

pulled a sample out and it went from 1.047 to 1.009 and i can't imagine it'll keep going - its already at 80% AA....

my question is this; when to bottle it? if it holds at 1.009 for another week its going in a bottle but i don't want to rush it. however, this is by far the best beer i've ever made and it has a HUGE sour component, low BU (7) and still has a great mouthfeel. the beer is clear, super bright blonde and ready to drink now imo...

hold it? bottle it? 5 weeks is a little early to bottle this normally, but it is exactly where i want it right now. prime it or let nature take its course? ultimately i'd like it carbonated pretty high for the style as i want to embrace its belgian heritage....

as an aside, i keep this yeast culture active most of the time (its in the fridge now waiting for me to brew a flemish red) and has an enormous acetic acid character before pitching but that is all gone in the beer and replaced by wonderful lactic acid...

only 5 weeks which is why i'm hesitant, but at 80% i can't imagine it'll go much further... i suppose i'll wait... damn. really want to start cracking this one open!

I have a few sours in my closet sitting between 92% (youngest) and 99% (oldest). Forget about this blonde for a year.

that's kind of what i thought - i have a few going and haven't been in a rush... tried my lambic today and it had dropped several points in the last month - no sour to that one yet, but it does have a pleasant funk to it... thanks... time to brew another one i guess....

Do you have keg/force carb. capability? That's a great way to start enjoying a mixed ferm. beer when you already love where it's at, but are worried about bombing bottles.

Sounds like you've got a great party going on in your house culture - what have you thrown in there?

Cheers,

Andy

No legging. The vast majority of my beers are given away. The sacc strains are pacman and 3944 belgian wit, it also has stepped up jp bam biere dregs, macro, peril, brett b and c...

Gonna let it ride out and I want two weeks without gravity movement before I bottle. Ill retest later and see.

Back