When it Rains, it Pours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgasm135

Reaction score
Wow, worst brew day ever...

I...
-melt my auto-siphon
-cut my knuckle open
-burn my arm
-get beer through my gas line and into the CO2 regulator
-all my hops boiled-over before I could save it
-accidentally get half a gallon of hose water in my boil
-Find out my hefeweizen I just kegged only fermented to 1.020 (after 2 weeks)

I'm brewing an all-grain cream ale kit from Northern Brewer, batch sparging. I pour my first runnings into a smaller pot, and start heating it up. When that finishes, I pour my sparge water from my main 10 gallon pot into my cooler.

The first runnings start to heat up quicker than I realize and I start getting my second runnings into my main pot. I put my auto-siphon into the first pot with my first runnings (which is pretty hot now) and start siphoning into the main pot. Well, the first runnings were so hot my auto-siphon melted and bent. (I realize my mistake now and will do this in a different order).

During all of this, I clean my keg out (which I just killed) and siphon my hefe into the keg (the old fashion way). I cut my knuckle open in the process on the mouth of the keg and start gushing blood.

After I'm bandaged up, my keg is (over)filled and I put some CO2 on it and purge it a couple times. Well, I then lowered the pressure of the tank (there is a little purge on my regulator that releases the excess pressure) and BOOM, gas line full of beer and spewing out of regulator.

I go back outside and it's time to add my hops. I add and it instantly boils over (there was 8 gallons of wort in my 10 gallon pot) before I can lower the heat and stop it. I lost almost all of the hops in a boil over. I replace part of it with different hops :/

I go back inside and start taking my regulator apart and cleaning everything I can. When my 60 minute boil is done, I connect my wort chiller to the hose and see the back yard water line is closed. I go downstairs and burn my arm on the water heater while I open the line.

After cursing, I check and see that the hose water is running and doing its job. I notice a slight leak from the hose connection and dripping on the line before my pot and don't worry about it. I go inside to start cleaning up some stuff. I come back out 20 minutes later and realize there is also a leak at the input of my line to the wort chiller and there's a steady stream of hose water going into my cooling beer. GREAT.

Long story short, My OG is off because of the extra hose water and who knows what else is going on with this cream ale. I tested the gravity of my hefeweizen from the last bit left in the fermenter after kegging and see that my FG is 1.020.

All in all, ****TY day.

Bought the wife a new queen mattress 500 bucks. She cracked her windshield before we even got home 350. Then she broke her tooth that night which is 500. Can we say let's spend the husband's paycheck. I feel you. My program seems to always be let's not just have one thing go wrong but muliple to make it even that much better.

Back