When is it appropriate to filter wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Code

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a batch of porter tonight using 6lbs of dark DME and 2oz of hop pellets. My funnel has a removeable fine mesh screen in it, and I was wondering if I should leave the sceen in when transfering the wort to the fermentor? should it be standard practice to always filter the wort when transferring no matter what type of brew you're making? or does it only apply to certain types?

Thanks.

Your going to get conflicting answers on that one.I used to filter before going into the primary.Now I don't.I have not noticed a difference.

To filter on not post boil is a 6 of one half dozen of another kind of thing.

Often if I'm feeling lazy it all goes into primary and then it falls out and I rack around it into the keg or bottling bucket.
Sometimes I whirlpool my wort and siphon it to the fermentor.

Yeah, you can get some particles/break/hops out of the beer this way. It also helps to oxidize the wort as it drops from the mesh screen, I believe. With only 2 oz of pellets you wont have too muh trouble though. If you use 4 oz on an IPA then that screen is going to get clogged and be a pain really quick.

Well I use a immersian chiller and when it is cool I use my sanitized auto shipon and rack it....before that, EIther I just dumped everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Or I would use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

Many people don't bother straining at all..sometimes I don't bother....It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you.

Like I said, now that I use an immersion chiller, both on the stove or on my turkey fryer, I get the wort cold enough to autosiphon it over.

I use one and the filtering is fine but I like the aeration I get from it, I don't have to rock the carboy as much since I have foam coming out the top.

carboy1.jpg

I uses the nylon paint strainers in my funnel. The one gal ones just fit. Its a lot less stuff getting into the primary and it does a great job aerating the wort.

Latest posts

Back