When is a kolsch done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuc224

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, im in a bit of a odd place. I made a kolsch about a week ago and it fermented out and when i transferred it to a keg, the wort was super super clear. So its been on gas for about 7 days and im tempted to just crack it open and drink it. Could it be ready in such a short time? I know people lager it to clear it but this one is already clear, what do i do?

You always crack it open and taste it. If it tastes good- success. If it doesn't, let it lager more.

I have a friend that brews a lot of Kolsch's and doesn't do a long lager period. And I've also read some recipes/processes from professional brewers and they insist on lagering for a few months.

So in conclusion, always trust your own palate!

I made a kolsch a month or two ago. I let it sit for about two and a half weeks in my fermenter, one and a half of those very cold. After only a few days in the keg, it was tasting great and ready to drink. I had expected to need to lager it a bit longer, but nope! I'm glad I went ahead and drank because it's now a little past its prime a few weeks later.

I generally lager for 90 days, however I taste samples of the keg along the way. Sometimes you get a batch that is excellent earlier than usual.

Last year I did an Oktoberfest which I had planned on lagering 180 days. After a couple months it was fantastic, and the entire keg was drank probably 3 months before I had planned on cracking the keg. So much for schedules!

That is one great thing about kegs, you can easily monitor the beer progress!

I also happen to have a kolsch that has been 7 days in the keg now. I tried it earlier today and it's really good, almost completely clear and nice taste. I suspect it will be in its prime in a week, the carbonation is not quite where I want it yet. The gravity sample from the fermenter was remarkably clear so I suspect it will also be very clear in a week.

I used the Lallemand kolsch yeast which fermented at 15c for around 7 days and then about the same time in room temp.

That's great! What yeast did you use?
Used the WLP 029 yeast, honestly I just cracked a pseudo lager i had going with lutra and it was heading into that lager state that im not too fond of, I know others like that flavor but its not for me, this kolsch was superb.

I also happen to have a kolsch that has been 7 days in the keg now. I tried it earlier today and it's really good, almost completely clear and nice taste. I suspect it will be in its prime in a week, the carbonation is not quite where I want it yet. The gravity sample from the fermenter was remarkably clear so I suspect it will also be very clear in a week.

I used the Lallemand kolsch yeast which fermented at 15c for around 7 days and then about the same time in room temp.
This is the exact experience that i had. This young beer is honestly tops for me. the erdinger clone, not even close lol.

I did one on Kveik a week ago and just tapped it today. Probably the intense heat wave we're having, but it's just not cold enough and tastes way too young. Gonna let it sit a few weeks and see what happens.

I've had success with 4 to 6 weeks. 2 weeks in the fermenter and then 2 - 4 weeks in the keg (in the fermentation mini fridge). My chamber and diy kegerator are both mini fridges so each can only hold one 2.5 gal mini keg so I really cant do a long true lagering. I hold ferment and age then in the mid fifties and use Lellmands kolsch yeast.

I'm pretty happy the way they turn out. smooth and crisp. nice maltiness.

I suppose I can age them longer if I could, but I doubt my tastebuds would notice a difference.

Well cracked it and its not clear, its clearish but its probably the one of the best beers ive made to date. My god im proud of this beer.

Should clear after a few pints has you probably have sediment in bottom of keg. Have a Kolsch on tap myself and it was crystal clear going into keg, but took 3 pints before it cleared. I lager mine, this one for just over a month, just because I only can have two beers on tap, but brew almost every two weeks, so after fermentation, I transfer to kegs and they will lager until a spot opens up for it.

There’s a great article in craft beer and brewing about Kolsch with Matthew Steinberg from Exhibit A in Mass. Theres a lot of talk about the conditioning period in that article. A good read that is highly recommend.

Last edited:
It's probably done as soon as you keg it and cool it. I think "lagering" was more of a thing before refrigeration and filtration. Time is what made beer settle out and clear up. Your fridge is a lot colder than a cave. And we have ways to strain/filter wort/beer that did not exist back in the day.

Latest posts

Back