When does gertical growth stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazedandconfused

Reaction score
I was just wondering about what month/time your guys hop plants stop growing vertically and start flowering?

Vertical growth depends on your trellis. The taller the trellis, the more room the hops have to grow.

Even if they stop growing vertically, that doesn't mean they will immediately flower. They will just start to branch out when they can't grow any farther.

Hops need 120 frost-free days, on average, to produce hops. You should start seeing flowers about 3 weeks before this.

Mine usually flower in mid-july and I have hops by august.

Vertical growth depends on your trellis. The taller the trellis, the more room the hops have to grow.

Even if they stop growing vertically, that doesn't mean they will immediately flower. They will just start to branch out when they can't grow any farther.

Hops need 120 frost-free days, on average, to produce hops. You should start seeing flowers about 3 weeks before this.

Mine usually flower in mid-july and I have hops by august.

and how long is needed to actually produce usable cones once they begin to form?

Once they begin forming, it usually takes 2-3 weeks. It really depends on the climate and how fast they grow. A good indicator is once you see a few of them starting to turn brown, it's time to harvest. They should feel a little papery, and if you pull a cone apart at the spindle (spine), you should see lots yellow powder (lupelin).

I have over 12' of vertical growth right now. Small flowers are appearing. Vertical growth has slowed but not stopped.

Back