when does a recipe need flaked...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
Some recipes have flaked barley/wheat/dextrine/etc. to increase head, and some dont... I havent noticed a pattern (ie. all stouts, or all beers with low IBUs, etc.)

Heres my question:
Is there a rule of thumb for when you need to think about adding something to increase head retention?.. or do some people just add 1/4 lb of one or the other to every recipe?

thoughts?

thank you for any help and suggestions.

p.s. The recipe that sparked this question is a pumpkin porter--- so if you are one of those posters who needs a specific example-- there that is... But, that said-- I really want to know when the little voice in my head should say.. psssst... add some dextrine.

It's really up to you. I typically add these types of things to beers that I want to be a bit heavier/creamier as far as mouth feel goes.

Flaked adjuncts are also easy to work with. You don't have to worry about pre-cooking them, so that may also be a factor for some people when they're choosing which to use. I haven't noticed any difference as far as flavor goes...it's all just mouthfeel really. The only main difference between flaked and the others is the protein content....with the exception of flaked corn, which actually lowers the body of a beer because of a lower protein content.

It's really up to you. I typically add these types of things to beers that I want to be a bit heavier/creamier as far as mouth feel goes.

Flaked adjuncts are also easy to work with. You don't have to worry about pre-cooking them, so that may also be a factor for some people when they're choosing which to use. I haven't noticed any difference as far as flavor goes...it's all just mouthfeel really. The only main difference between flaked and the others is the protein content....with the exception of flaked corn, which actually lowers the body of a beer because of a lower protein content.

so are there certain characteristics of a recipe that would make these additions not necessary?

also, whats the difference... flaked wheat vs. flaked barley, vs carapils, vs dextrine, vs something else I dont know about?

Well, dextrin malt IS cara-pils. These would typically be used in lighter beers since they don't contribute to flavor or color.

As for flaked barley and wheat, I haven't noticed much of a difference in contribution to head retention/body increase. What I mean is...they both appear to be just as good in my opinion. I typically don't use wheat for anything other than wheat beers. The high protein content in wheat causes a lot of haze, so it's out of place in most beers.

Flaked barley... I typically use this or oats in many of my stouts and porters. It adds a creamier feel to the beer that can't always be achieved with mash temps.

There are differences between all malts, but in a homebrew aspect, you don't need to worry about much more than flavor/color/extract value. When it comes to flaked vs. normal... it's usually no big deal if you don't mind the added body.

When you're deciding which to use, just think to yourself... "does this seem out of place in this style of beer?" Would you want a to have an IPA that's thick and chewy? Would you want a stout that's extremely thin?

Suthrncomfrt1884 said:
Well, dextrin malt IS cara-pils. These would typically be used in lighter beers since they don't contribute to flavor or color.

As for flaked barley and wheat, I haven't noticed much of a difference in contribution to head retention/body increase. What I mean is...they both appear to be just as good in my opinion. I typically don't use wheat for anything other than wheat beers. The high protein content in wheat causes a lot of haze, so it's out of place in most beers.

Flaked barley... I typically use this or oats in many of my stouts and porters. It adds a creamier feel to the beer that can't always be achieved with mash temps.

There are differences between all malts, but in a homebrew aspect, you don't need to worry about much more than flavor/color/extract value. When it comes to flaked vs. normal... it's usually no big deal if you don't mind the added body.

When you're deciding which to use, just think to yourself... "does this seem out of place in this style of beer?" Would you want a to have an IPA that's thick and chewy? Would you want a stout that's extremely thin?

That, my friend, is a perfect reply...answered all of my questions very succinctly. THANK YOU!!

And at what point would you add these adjuncts typically, at the beginning of the mash or later in the process, or would you boil them separately?

And at what point would you add these adjuncts typically, at the beginning of the mash or later in the process, or would you boil them separately?

I dont think they are technically adjuncts...

either way, you just mash them with the rest of the grain.

at least thats what I do.

Not adjuncts... adjuncts are things that don't self-convert, like corn and rice.

Wheat always increases the head retention on a beer, flaked or otherwise. Unmalted wheat will leave a haze in the beer (sometimes that's what you want; I just add a couple tsp wheat flour to the boil for that).

I get the creamiest head on beer when I use Carapils malt (dextrine malt). I'm not sure why, but I do. I just made an Irish red that has a guiness-like smooth cream on it. If that's what you're looking for, Cara-pils / Carafoam might be the thing. I used 1# in a 6g recipe.

Wow one pound is a lot of carapils. I think the most I've ever used is half a pound.

So as to when you would add a flaked malt vs not add one, a lot of it comes down to the mash and the grain bill. If you are mashing at higher temps and/or have a lot of crystal malts (or wheat) in the grain bill, you are going to end up with more head retention in your beer than if you mash lower and/or use few crystal malts. Dry hops also usually add head retaining proteins.

And, if you are an extract or partial mash brewer making beer with DME, well DME comes with dextrin already added so it has better head retention than an equivalent amount of your typical 2-row mashed at 152-154F.

Wow one pound is a lot of carapils. I think the most I've ever used is half a pound.

So as to when you would add a flaked malt vs not add one, a lot of it comes down to the mash and the grain bill. If you are mashing at higher temps and/or have a lot of crystal malts (or wheat) in the grain bill, you are going to end up with more head retention in your beer than if you mash lower and/or use few crystal malts. Dry hops also usually add head retaining proteins.

And, if you are an extract or partial mash brewer making beer with DME, well DME comes with dextrin already added so it has better head retention than an equivalent amount of your typical 2-row mashed at 152-154F.

what constitutes "a lot" of crystal?

I dunno maybe 10% or more of the grain bill?

The thing with crystal malts is the more you add to a grain bill the more of that caramel flavor you end up with, so I always try to keep it on the low side and if I am looking to keep some residual body & sweetness I will bump up the mash temp. I really just use a little, more like 2-5% range, in recipes for color and a bit of flavor.

weirdboy said:
I dunno maybe 10% or more of the grain bill?

The thing with crystal malts is the more you add to a grain bill the more of that caramel flavor you end up with, so I always try to keep it on the low side and if I am looking to keep some residual body & sweetness I will bump up the mash temp. I really just use a little, more like 2-5% range, in recipes for color and a bit of flavor.

Great, this is all very helpful!! Thank you! :)

So if I'm mashing at 156 w 7% crystal...

Carapils?

I think if you have 7% crystal and mashing at 156 you ought to have plenty of body in the beer. Carapils is just pure dextrin. If you want it more chewy then go ahead and add some.

Wow one pound is a lot of carapils. I think the most I've ever used is half a pound

My red was a recipe from HBT... Quaffable Irish Red or something like that.

[edit]Use that much carapils and get this (pic is from that recipe page):

Aiden_s_1st_Beer_003.jpg

Back