When do I sanitize the beverage out line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHog87

Reaction score
As the title says. I did try searching but I find the iphone app to be less than stellar when searching for topics.

1- when I keg my first batch this week I plan on force carving by setting 20-30psi for a couple days, then dropping the pressure to 10ish and seeing what I've got. During this process (force carbonating), do I leave the beverage out line attached to keg or leave it off?

2-if I leave it off, then exactly how and when do I sanitize/clean it prior to reattaching and dispensing?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As the title says. I did try searching but I find the iphone app to be less than stellar when searching for topics.

1- when I keg my first batch this week I plan on force carving by setting 20-30psi for a couple days, then dropping the pressure to 10ish and seeing what I've got. During this process (force carbonating), do I leave the beverage out line attached to keg or leave it off?

2-if I leave it off, then exactly how and when do I sanitize/clean it prior to reattaching and dispensing?

Thanks

I leave it off.

Two ways that seem most common, one is to build a hand pump, DIY in DIY section. Personally as I wash my kegs out and run star San through and pressurize with the co2 to about 4psi and let it push out of the lines, once I get a good volume change out ill close the tap and disconnect the liquid out leaving it trapped in there for a few then drain it out. Still need to take apart and clean poppets and orings etc.

1- I leave it off until it has finished carbonating.

2- I clean and sanitize the line after each keg kicks. First I clean the keg with PBW, then with about a gallon of PBW solution still in the keg, I hook it up the the line and run it through.Then I sanitize the keg with Star San, and leaving about a gallon of Star San solution still in the keg, I hook it up the the line and run it through.

The line should stay clean and sanitized until you hook up the next keg, whether that be immediately or at some unknown point in the future.

If it will be a while before I hook up a new keg, then I just spray the ball-lock fitting with a little star san before attaching the new keg to make sure it is still sanitary. But I don't bother to clean the line again.

Thanks to all. That answers my question. What I'll likely do is run sanitizer through it while sanitizing the keg prior to racking and then remove it, drain the line and keep is someplace relatively clean until a couple days down the road.

Back