When did you first get interested in water profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceH

Mostly Retired
Reaction score
At this point in my brewing career I'm satisfied with the processes. The last thing to get in the ballpark is water. Once that happens I'll go back over each process and keep fine tuning.

I'm thinking that this is the start of an impending obsession with all aspects of brewing vs what I've been doing which is just making beer that's drinkable.

Anyone else follow a similar progression?

Oh, sure. I don't know where it's going to end, either.

As to water--pretty early on in my brewing career I began to care about water after having read about its influence not only on mash characteristics but also on flavor.

Workin' on learning more about yeast right now.

On my second batch. I know my tap water is awful so some other water source is a must. Went with distilled water and build the profile I need. I am still making minor adjustments to my water profile with each batch to find the ones I like the best.

I've been brewing for about 22 years and still haven't gotten into water chemistry... but I want to. I got a Ward Lab test quite a while ago and I finally picked up a PH meter last week. Hopefully my next brew day will be where I dive in.

For me it was when pretty early on I realized that although the beer I was making was decent for the price I was still choosing to drink store bought stuff first and somewhat forcing myself to drink my homebrew. It was either stop brewing or go all in. I chose all in and now my homebrews typically as good as my favorite store bought. I still buy some store bought but now it for variety and to try new stuff. Cheers

About a year into brewing . Started off extract kits then went AG. It was a few batches of AG before I took the plunge . Glad I did . It's very overwhelming at first but the more you read and work out water profiles on a program the easier it gets .

I got into it pretty early- I found that my light colored beers like kolsch were a bit harsh at first sip or two. I learned that my water, while it tastes great and makes awesome darker beers, had a too-high alkalinity for delicate light beers and lagers. I think that I started digging into water chemistry in early 2007 or so if I remember it correctly.

Controlling Chloramines - right away.

Manipulating water chemistry - just a while ago after reading Session Beers: https://amzn.to/2I6BeeI and I just made a simple tweak and it worked really well.

Right away. Austin city water is 9.5pH and hard as a rock. I remember @Yooper words to this day...."Little is more". Don't over do it with additions. RO with some gypsum/Calcium Chroide and a touch of Lactic Acid for lighter colored beers seems to do the trick for me.

Campden tablets was relatively early.

But going to RO+minerals wasn't until I'd been brewing about 9 years. I think my beers were pretty good during that period, despite the water problems. I was doing well in beer competitions when I entered them. But I slowly started to see my competition results drop as I think other brewers were raising their own game. And I could tell that my darker beers came out nicer than my lighter beers, which would be consistent with the mediocre tap water here. So I made the switch.

What surprised me was how striking the difference was. After over 9 years, I really had pretty much everything dialed in, process-wise. I thought that changing the water was going to be an incremental improvement. On the contrary, I noticed that the beers were markedly better. Malt and hop flavors just seemed to "pop" more, whereas before I think it was just slightly muddled.

I honestly think it was the difference between making really good homebrew before and making commercial-quality beer now.

About to take the leap on my next beer. A Festbier (Yes, know I am late brewing one.)

Gonna go with distilled water and additions. Been brewing about three years now all grain.

I ordered a Ward Brewer Test Kit. I want to know what it's at coming from my tap.

The city that my city buys water from lists "Parameters for Home Brewing" on the city water website. It looks very soft and I can say that it is soft from the tap. The water comes from a reservoir in the Cascades. It's all rain and snow melt.

upload_2019-6-10_16-18-28.png

I'm thinking that this is the start of an impending obsession with all aspects of brewing vs what I've been doing which is just making beer that's drinkable.

Brewed my first batch in 1993...got into water chemistry 4 months ago.

I suspect I would not drink my first 10 batches now, but at the time they seemed good. Eventually I got a simple all-grain brewing process down and started to make pretty solid beers. For 15 years I hardly changed any of my equipment or process. For whatever reason I stopped homebrewing for 2.5 years. I do think that part of the reason was that I am surrounded by breweries that were making better beer than me.

Back in Dec I jumped back in full force. I made a commitment to 1) improve the quality of my beer and 2) streamline my process (as long as it does not impact #1). I have done a number of things to step up my game...fermentation chamber, closed keg transfers, split experimental batches, focusing on my volumes/gravities, detailed brew logs, etc.

Another of the things was water chemistry. I read a ton, got a Ward Lab's report, picked up a pH meter, and jumped in. Honestly, I am not sure that water chemistry has had that big of an impact on the quality of my beers, though I am only 10 batches into doing mineral adjustments, and 7 batches into doing pH adjustments...and I am still learning. I hope to do some split batch experiments (like half with no treatments, or half with RO+treatments).

I "think" my hoppy beers are better, but that might just be bias or changes to my hopping game. My water is middle of the road and better suited for amber and dark beers. It is fairly low on Sulfate (18 ppm), so I am adding Gypsum to most of my beers with a little Calcium Chloride to some styles. Without adjustment, pH for a typical Pale Ale is around 5.8, so I use Gypsum and Acidulated Malt/Phosphoric Acid to bring it closer to 5.4.

I do believe that water chemistry has been a worthwhile change and it has made a positive impact on my beers.

My first all grain beer was brewed with RO water and a built up water profile. I was brewing a NEIPA and I felt, after a lot of reading, that it was a key element. I've learned more since then, but I continue to think of the water profile as part of the recipe for my beers.

Months before I ever brewed a beer. Did a bunch of research and the water book was one of the first books I purchased. First ever batch was brewed with RO and a built up water profile. Clearly it took me a while to actually understand everything but I’ve never not altered water in some way. I’ve probably reread thy water book 5 times since. Recently started manipulating my well water which is about as bad as it gets for pale beers and have learned enough to produce pretty darn good beer with it.

(240 Alkalinuty, 225 hardness, 650 TDS)

It’s 95% of the beer and is in my mind the most critical aspect of making good beer. It’s amazing how you can tell when you go to some breweries that the brewer doesn’t understand how to work with their water for each style and it’s also amazing how many professional brewers you talk to have no clue when it comes to water.

I apparently had a very neutral water where I used to live. All styles of beer came out very good. I preferred my home brews to commercial over 75% of the time. After about 6 1/2 years I got a water report and made some adjustments in one beer. It made no significant difference. I then made a move and the water here doesn't seem to be so forgiving. I am going to buy a RO system and probably get a pH meter and start the process.

I used to really not pay too much attention my water profile when I was on the municipal supply. My neighborhood is on a community well and the water is terrible. It's really pushed me into buying bottled water (deed park - 5 gals) and then building a water profile to match the style that I brew for.

About 5-10 batches in, with mediocre English milds and American ambers, the LHBS guy suggested "Water Crystals" by BSG which helped and led me straight to Ward labs to find my tap water had unreal low ion content. Been messing, measuring, researching, futzing, annoying the wife & all others who get within earshot of my ramblings ever since then. It's only been about 6 years now.

Back