Wheat malt in an IPA???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teacher

Reaction score
I'm coming up with a new IPA recipe. I'm thinking about using about .25 lbs wheat malt in my IPA recipe (7 lbs LME, 1 lb Crystal 80L). I've never used it but have read it should aid in head formation/retention, mouth feel, etc, just like CaraPils. I'm sure the flavor would be a bit different. What do you think?

I don't think 4 ounces of wheat will make a big flavor difference, but it should help, as you said, with head retention and mouth feel. Plenty of people toss a little flaked wheat into their recipes for the same reason. Sounds like a pretty solid idea to me.

If you are able to partial mash with a little 2-row, I've found that my beers have better head retention now that I do partial mashes. The pale ale I'm drinking these days leaves lace all the way down the glass. I do partial boils on a stove top for now, and only had to buy a grain bag (just a couple of bucks) to start doing partial mashes. It's made my beers quite a bit better, and lets me use a wider variety of ingredients.

I use 8oz of whet malt in a lot of my beers (IPA, APA, etc.). I have not done a side-by-side but definitely think it aids in head retention. I do not think I could tell the difference in flavor in hoppy beers.

The wheat (malt of flaked) needs to be mashed. If you just steep it will contribute starch and might leave you beer hazy. I would recommend going to partial mash or just add a pound of wheat LME (since it is usually 50/50 wheat/barley).

I got carried away and used both a pound of wheat solids and a pound of rice solids in a six gallon batch of IPA a couple of weeks ago - did I make a light bodied IPA with excessive head?

I have used about 1 lb of wheat in APA, IPA, Porter and brown ales with no real change to the flavor profile except for a slight grainy flavor I noticed in the APA. There may be some haze but I'm looking for tasty beer, not always pretty beer...I say you toss it in!

I have used about 1 lb of wheat in APA, IPA, Porter and brown ales with no real change to the flavor profile except for a slight grainy flavor I noticed in the APA. There may be some haze but I'm looking for tasty beer, not always pretty beer...I say you toss it in!

i have two pounds of white wheat grain to use up and i was thinking of throwing in a pound into an up coming hoppy ipa. what are the effects of using wheat in an ipa? also, do you still use rice hulls with as little as a lb?

I have a IPA recipe that calls for 4 lbs of American Malted Wheat of a 12 pound grain bill so 33 percent. The excess protein will definitely provide a nice white tight resistant head. It adds a slight wheat flavor to the beer and will also provide a slight fuller mouthfeel with out feeling slimy or even changing body of beer. Cause of all the proteins of the wheat alone beer might be slightly more hazy but can be reduced with proper sparging and with aging a bit. Overall I love adding wheat to my IPAs it adds a complexity to it that no other grain can.

joselima

i have two pounds of white wheat grain to use up and i was thinking of throwing in a pound into an up coming hoppy ipa. what are the effects of using wheat in an ipa? also, do you still use rice hulls with as little as a lb?

You don't have to use rice hull. I don't even use any for 4 lbs of American Wheat Malt in my recipe. You will be fine. I actually recommend use more wheat malt.

joselima

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm going to mash the wheat (and the Crystal).

You have to include a base malt to mash. Neither the crystal or wheat have enzymes to convert the starch to sugar. Either step up to PM or use carapils that doesn't need to be mashed. I love wheat IPAs btw!

You have to include a base malt to mash. Neither the crystal or wheat have enzymes to convert the starch to sugar. Either step up to PM or use carapils that doesn't need to be mashed. I love wheat IPAs btw!

The OP said wheat malt, that has just as much diastatic power or more than malted barley. Not sure 1/4 lb is worth it though. I use up to about 1 lb per batch when using just for head retention and I don't really perceive any wheat character.

Edit: wow, just realized we're necromancing here. I think the OP probably already brewed this.

These threads are not just for the posters but for anyone who have a similar question think of them as Q&As

joselima

HI (excuse me for my english). Here in Argentina we are trying to develop an Argentinean Ipa (we call IPA Argenta) , since we produce hops. one of the guidelines that we have describe is to have one typical ingredient to difference from the American Ipa, so we choose wheat malt for its armonization with citrus aromas of our hops (like yours), but not to make an wheat IPA. an IPa with wheat malt in a 10 or 20. if you are looking for dextrines... some of carawheat. The hops that whe are trying are producen in Patagonia. They are the cascade, nugget, mapuche, bullion and Victoria

here you have the chronic of the first meeting and the download link of a ppt whit some guidelines

do you still use rice hulls with as little as a lb?

I did a 60% wheat malt hefe the other day with no hulls, because my stainless mesh never seems to stick. Some people use hulls even on all-barley mashes. You just have to feel it out based on how easy your lautering usually goes.

I also did a wheat laden IPA . . . about 40% wheat coupled with 8oz of honey malt. Used Colombus, Amarillo, and Citra . . . it's awesome.

Latest posts

Back