Wheat ish beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robotcrab

Reaction score
Tried to add some wheat the other day, seemed to work, I steeped 500g of malted wheat or one hour then sieved off the grai, added 200g of LDME along with 30g tettangager for 60 then another 15g for 10. Pitched with safale wheat. The wort then a late edition of 2kg LDME and 400g dextrose after the entitial steep was a lot sweeter and wort like then I expected, OG was 1048 which was higher then predicted so must have got a bit more out of the wheat then I thought I would. Any way a trial beer, hope it comes out ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you "steeped" the wheat in the window of 145 to 160, you converted the starch to sugar which got you the higher OG except that with the malted wheat, if you kept the temperature in the window that I mentioned you didn't steep, you mashed. You're on the way to learning about partial mash and how easy it is, which is only a short step from all grain via BIAB.

I completely understand what happened, I just wasn't expecting it, I pretty much just winged it, didn't take temps just let her sit. I'm new to extract, long story short, moved countries and left all my all grain kit behind, it will get here eventually do not spending the bucks on stuff I already have so have been playing with kits and extract, but really enjoying the simplicity of it. Plus down here in Tasmania the LHBS are rare as rocking horse ****, ad the one I've found is obviously aimed at extract and partial brewers (they don't even have pale malt?!)

I completely understand what happened, I just wasn't expecting it, I pretty much just winged it, didn't take temps just let her sit. I'm new to extract, long story short, moved countries and left all my all grain kit behind, it will get here eventually do not spending the bucks on stuff I already have so have been playing with kits and extract, but really enjoying the simplicity of it. Plus down here in Tasmania the LHBS are rare as rocking horse ****, ad the one I've found is obviously aimed at extract and partial brewers (they don't even have pale malt?!)

Looks like I was "preaching to the choir" with my explanation. Sorry for taking you for a newbie.:cross:

If you can get wheat malt but not pale malt, can you get unmalted barley? The wheat malt should be able to convert about twice its weight in unmalted barley. Feed barley should be pretty cheap. You'll be stuck with making wheat beers but it will be all grain and cheaper than extract.:mug:

Since you must have a pot big enough to make beer in already there, explore BIAB while you wait for the rest of you kit. It's cheap to get started and so easy.

I have to say I didn't know wheat malt could do that? How would I go about doing a mash like that? And yes straight barley very easy to get, was even thinking about malting some myself. The shop ive been using only stocks half kilo bags of wheat, chocolate and dark, I assume because locals use them in there kits as extras, is actually a health food shop with a home brew section in the back.

Wheat malt has about the same diastatic power as 6 row barley. You've made all grain before so you know how to mill the grain although if you are going to try a batch BIAB you could mill even finer than you are used to. Use the barley as if it were malted but rely on the wheat malt for the enzymes to get conversion. I've done this in reverse using the 2 row barley to convert the rye or wheat that I grow.

If you need more info on how to do it BIAB there is a section on it at the top of the All Grain section of the forum or you can just ask again in this thread. Someone will be along to give you better explanation.

Back